Search the forum,

Discuss stretch in my benders in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

davidzeraschi

Hi im on a plumbing course at weekends and next saturday i have a pipe bending exam i was wondering if any one could remind me how to work out the stretch on my benders as i have two 90 degree bends to do so simply chopping ends off is not an option! all help greatly appreciated!

thank you very much. i have looked but it does not tell me how to calculate the stretch but not sure if i need to take it into account with that way of bending? will give it a go and see what happens ill let you know how i get on!

a 90 degree bend stretches by the same as the pipe diameter. 15mm 90= length of 2 axis minus 15mm = starting length

Practice on piece of scrap pipe to find out whats happening.

Length of the bend can be calculated with this formula

(Radius X 2 X 3.142) divided by 4

Useing 15mm pipe
Radius of bend is 4D, which is 4 x15 = 60mm.

(60 X 2 X 3.142) divided by 4

Length of bend 94.26mm

Why do these examiners ask questions like this and demand the answers are known?

Plain stupid and time wasting to me and it's also a waste of materials (and world resources ultimately). Surely it's much quicker and more economical to insist that the pipe is oversized, bent then cut down to size and the offcut then used to fit another section of pipework?

I was shown that formula then went like a good student to complete my copper study. One bend in the pipe, followed by a cut (or two cuts knowing me) and hardly any waste because the smaller piece fitted another part of the copper study.

Surely it's better to cut 525mm then chop and re-use 110mm of the 125mm (so losing/wasting 15mm) rather than 400mm then find you're 2mm out and have to cut another piece of 400mm?

Last edited by a moderator:
surely its better to be taught how to do it properly without any waste, bending copper is a skill and once learned and (often) practiced stays with you for ever,

If the extra time it takes to calculate each bend you pull doesn't cost you more than the cost of copper saved, you're not charging enough for your time. That's why plumbers just bend and chop. Saving 10p worth of copper isn't important enough to start measuring and calculating. It's the ethical way to do it yes, less waste, better for planet. Still doesn't mean anyone does it.

But it is probably good that everyone is taught the right way. Like being taught to drive. People develop short cuts and bad habbits no matter what you do. So you damage-limit by raising the starting bar high enough that they end up somewhere that's still acceptible.

easy way to get 90 degree bend is measure the legth that you need and go back 70mm and put the 70mm mark on the edge of the former that way you get your bend simples!

I think you may find some info at www.ukcopperboard.co.uk .
There are many different methods to do pipe bending its just what you remember easier or prefer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to stretch in my benders in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello I am looking to install a slimline dishwasher (integrated) into a cupboard in my kitchen. The depth of the dishwasher is 550mm and the...
Replies
Views
P
  • Question
Boiler is SIRIUS THREE FS 70 Potterton commercial. Situation: We are small building contractors and my labourers managed to damage the radiator...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock