Search the forum,

Discuss soldering Copper to chrome pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

ParrDi Gras

Hi Guys , im about to replace two bathroom radiators with chrome towel Rads. My existing CH pipework is 10mm and im going to have to use a reducer from the 15mm Chrome pipe which is going to go into the radiator valves.(dont ask me why I cant just use the plastic chrome like snap tube to cover the 10mm pipe and use a reducer inside the Valve, as the wife:mad:). anyway should I remove the chrome from the copper pipe before soldering into the reducer and then onto the 10mm pipe or will it make a good bond anyway.

thanks guys:)

You have to remove the chrome first, which is a pain in the neck.

If you can hide the joint (under the floor for example) then you can use a compression reducer and no one will be the wiser!

Hi Guys , im about to replace two bathroom radiators with chrome towel Rads. My existing CH pipework is 10mm and im going to have to use a reducer from the 15mm Chrome pipe which is going to go into the radiator valves.(dont ask me why I cant just use the plastic chrome like snap tube to cover the 10mm pipe and use a reducer inside the Valve, as the wife:mad:). anyway should I remove the chrome from the copper pipe before soldering into the reducer and then onto the 10mm pipe or will it make a good bond anyway.

thanks guys:)

file the crome off the pipe until you have removed it all were u are going to solder .
then put power flux onto pipe and solder it and it will be a good joint.
( any flux will work but powerflux is my personel prefernece )

if using power flux you can sometimes get away with not filing the crome as the power flux removes the crome but if pipe is hidden your better off filing it to be sure

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the advice guys, I will cut my pipe and bend the pipe something to length and stick it on the lath at work , using abrasive paper around should remove the chrome easy enough as it spins round . cheers again:)

Thanks for the advice guys, I will cut my pipe and bend the pipe something to length and stick it on the lath at work , using abrasive paper around should remove the chrome easy enough as it spins round . cheers again:)

ha good luck with that, i had to file loads of chrome once, bluntened my file :(

quicker with a grinder

never use compressions fittings under any floors , if working on rad valve in the furture , nuts will loosen off ,

All sorted guys , chrome came off pretty easy with me holding the abrasive paper as the pipe span on the lath. Took your advise and soldered all the joints , made up with the job. However I have just opened the towel radiator I purchased some time ago now and am about to fit it. Can anyone explain the best way to flush the system to get all the s*** out of the radiator. Ive bought the chemical to flush the system and some inhibitor to put in once flushed. I have a combi boiler and I can easily drain the system and re fill but not sure of the easiest way to flush the system??? is it as simple as opening the drain valve on the boiler and pouring the chemical and water into the Towel rail??? would appreciate some advice cheers guys

Yes mate just turn your boiler off, connect hose up to the drain off cock and drain away. I also like to when finished to shut all the rads down bar one and turn water back on then go round all rads shutting one down opening up another. You will find the mains water pressure will help clear out alot of carp. Also change the washer on the drain off cock before filling back up often fail.

Towel rail is ideal for adding chemicals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to soldering Copper to chrome pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock