Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Soil Pipe Question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

neil-uk

Hi Guys,

I have a small office which I am looking to re-do the toilet of in the sense of the decor and also the toilet, sink etc.

Unfortunately I can't upload any images to show you?

In one corner, there is the soil pipe connection, which comes from the ground from the sewer. There is then a T Junction attached to it, with my toilet connecting off one of the junctions.

However, going through the 'top' of the T Junction is around another 5' or so of pipe and then a cap on the end, with what looks like an air inlet/intake about 2".

This is a big eye saw, seems pointless and I would in an ideal world like to box the bottom T Junction, but ideally remove this 5' length of random useless pipe.

So what I wondered is whether I can remove whats seems to be a useless section of pipe, or if it has to stay there for some kind of ventilation regulation etc wise?

And, if it does have to stay there, whether I can box (then tile) over it?

Sorry if my description is vague, if only I could upload a picture!

Cheers
Neil

It's a durgo valve or AAV in today's money. And from your description an undersized one at that. As your stack isn't vented to outside air it is needed the reason for it being high is it needs to be above flood level I.e above the highest outlet like a wash hand basin.

so long as it is made accessible for repair it can be boxed in

as above but your aav needs to be open to air, if you box it in it needs to be accessible and have a vent in your boxing in, but it will still look neater than just the aav

Thanks for the help guys. I shall follow your advice.

One question what is the valve/why does it have to be there? Is it to stop a vacuum forming inside the pipework?

yes thats exactly why its there but it depends on the drain layout you might be able to cut it down to 2 ft high and cap it known as a stub stack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Soil Pipe Question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Hello I am looking to install a slimline dishwasher (integrated) into a cupboard in my kitchen. The depth of the dishwasher is 550mm and the...
Replies
Views
Hi guys....we have an old Astracast sink top....I think its a composite sink....has a big single bowl. My wife thinks it looks scruffy....looks...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock