Search the forum,

Discuss slotted basin waste leaks at lock nut in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

geoff01

Hello All,
I am renovating my bathroom and apart from every other thing that made life difficult I have a leaking back nut on the basin waste. It is a slotted type but the problem seems to be the lock/backing nut doesnt have thread all the way round. It has a 5mm groove at each side with the thread smoothed out. When the overflow fills it leaks out of these grooves.It looks like a faulty nut but this may be normal.
I hope I have explained it enough and someone can offer some advice.

Many Thanks
Geoff

Hi geoff and welcome I would suggest changing it for a McALPINE BSW1PC from any good plumbers merchants no paste or sealant required just a slotted screwdriver and best of all no backnut good luck:) regards turnpin

Hi Geoff, Basin slotted wastes are a pain. Having had the same problem many times (On a range of basins where the painter has made a nice job, leak and i wreck his work re bedding the waste) my solution was to have white gloss in a fairy bottle and squirt a bit down the overflow, whilst watching down the waste for it to appear at the slots (not to much) The thick nature of paint seals the waste nut seal with the basin. But must be left as long as possible to set before testing the work, over night as a minimum. Good Luck

are the slots in the back nut supposed to mbe their and if so what are their purpose

A 'Basin Mate' from B&Q for a couple of quid will also do the trick.

A 'Basin Mate' from B&Q for a couple of quid will also do the trick.

I have just spent the last two weeks and have had about twenty attempts to stop the waste leaking from my bathroom basin. Whilst I hate DIY of any description I have never considered myself bad at it, although this was very very testing. I spoke to several DIY enthusiasts, a plumber and a general maintenance man, and non of their tips worked. I even sealed the slots in the waste pipe, and for some reason that I still don't understand the water still managed to escape from the base of the fitting. I hunted the internet and found such a thing as a basin mate existed. A cone shaped rubber washer with a plastic cover and a felt washer for the top of the fixture. The first attempt nearly worked and the second attempt did. The problem is when I had to lift the sink slightly to get the pedestal back in it started to leak again. Fortunately this settled down and I have now been leak free for about two hours. This made me so joyous I had to register and tell you all about it. I bought this item for just over £1 from Tool Station.

im with turnpin, use either the macalpine waste or waste trap combo. you can even change them without touching the ped, cant get any more easy then that.

Hold the waste in position, squeeze silicone around the gap between the waste and the basin using a mastic gun, wind the backnut on (don't worry about the washer) hand tight and give it a little nip with your grips.

NEVER had a leak using this method in easily 100 plus times I've done it.

Hold the waste in position, squeeze silicone around the gap between the waste and the basin using a mastic gun, wind the backnut on (don't worry about the washer) hand tight and give it a little nip with your grips.

NEVER had a leak using this method in easily 100 plus times I've done it.

Ditto.

I use plumbers mate and poly washers and no problems, If I cant find any poly washers on the van then I will make a lead washer, again no problems

im with Nat on this one, silicone sealant all the way and lots of it - on the 300 plus basins i have fitted at work i have never ever had a leak on any of them!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to slotted basin waste leaks at lock nut in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock