Discuss Shower pump - how many bar do I need? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

muggo

I have low hot water pressure (gravity fed system) & my newly fitted thermostatic shower isn't producing enough flow so I'm about to order a Stuart Turner Universal single pump to pressurise the hot water system as a whole but I'm not sure how powerful I need it to be. I want a decent pressure at the standard type shower head but not so much I blast the soap off too quickly. I had a power shower many years ago that was just too powerful.
My HW cylinder is 42" x 18" (140 litres) so I imagine that's large enough for the job. I understand my cold water is mains pressure throughout the house as when I turn it off at the stopcock under the sink, I lose virtually all cold water pressure at every cold tap in the house. That means it's mains pressure doesn't it? Stuart Turner helpdesk recommends fitting a pump to the hot water circuit only & getting a Universal (negative head) type to prevent cold water forcing the hot water back via my mixer taps. I have ordered a Salamander S flange & a professional plumber will fit it all for me.
I was going to order a 2 bar pump but a 3 bar is about the same price so I'd appreciate knowing which you would recommend.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're getting a professional plumber in. He'll check out your system and let you know what is best. We could all guess and advise, but he'll be there and be able to tell you exactly what is needed. He can probably get the necessary equipment cheaper than you can too.

You're getting a professional plumber in. He'll check out your system and let you know what is best. We could all guess and advise, but he'll be there and be able to tell you exactly what is needed. He can probably get the necessary equipment cheaper than you can too.

Like most plumbers, he's a busy bloke. I've chatted to him over the phone & in the pub & he reckons I'm on the right track. He says to get the pump & flange & he'll fit it all. His advice on 2 or 3 bar will just be his subjective opinion though so that's why I'm asking what others would recommend.
I'm happy with the prices I've got & doubt he could beat them.
Although he Gas Safe registered & all that, it's mate's rates & cash if you follow me...

Tbh if he cant make 5 mins to come and have a look and make sure you're getting the right gear, he isn't interested in the job. IMHO. As far as I'm concerned it should be the plumber supplying the materials for a job like this, based on what he can see you need, not what you think you need.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

You really should get your plumber or any plumber to carry out a free no obligation survey as I would do. Doesn't matter a jot if the guy is doing it for mates rates, it's important to get this right from the outset or you may have to live with the consequences.

Judging by the info you've given here, 2 bar should be sufficient in my opinion but that's purely conjecture based on what limited information you've supplied and on my experience fitting such a pump in a similar situation. Keep with Turner pumps, they last for years and spares are readily available from them long after a model has become obsolete.

like thefish said i would recommend speaking to Stuart Turners technical team as they are very good, but also bear in mind that if you install an incorrect pump and then something goes wrong with it stuart tuner can void the guarantee if they come to inspect the problem and find that an incorrect unit has been fitted.

You really should get your plumber or any plumber to carry out a free no obligation survey as I would do. Doesn't matter a jot if the guy is doing it for mates rates, it's important to get this right from the outset or you may have to live with the consequences.

Judging by the info you've given here, 2 bar should be sufficient in my opinion but that's purely conjecture based on what limited information you've supplied and on my experience fitting such a pump in a similar situation. Keep with Turner pumps, they last for years and spares are readily available from them long after a model has become obsolete.

Thanks for the info. I've fitted my own bathroom using plastic pushfit but have no experience of copper - hence getting someone else in at this stage. The pump will be connected using 22mm copper & the flexi connections that come with it.
The pump will sit at the base of the HW cyl & there is approx 15m of 15mm copper or plastic pipe up to the shower. If you still say 2 bar is sufficient, I'll go with your advice.

like thefish said i would recommend speaking to Stuart Turners technical team as they are very good, but also bear in mind that if you install an incorrect pump and then something goes wrong with it stuart tuner can void the guarantee if they come to inspect the problem and find that an incorrect unit has been fitted.

I spoke to Stuart Turner tech & they advised how to tell if my cold water is mains pressure or not. It appears it is so they advised a universal (negative head) single pump of whatever pressure I wanted. Hence my query of whether to go for 2 or 3 bar.

I still think that 2 bar will be sufficient. As I said earlier, you need to get your plumber round to have a look.

Just to give you an idea of their capabilities, the 3 bar universal is the one I install in multi shower sports pavilions. Most mains water supplies in my area are about 2.5 bar at peak times. A 2 bar Turner will be just fine for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Shower pump - how many bar do I need? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I'm looking for a water pump to pump water from a storage tank at a constant 3 bar pressure. It's at a campsite I run that's at the bottom of...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm in my new build 2 years and the shower pump has died. I have an air to water unit downstairs is in the utility which I've been told is...
Replies
Views
I have just had a boiler, hot water tank and power shower pump replaced on advice by my plumber. I have two separate boilers, heat/hotwater...
Replies
Views
Hi, would be extremely grateful for any advice on the following. I'm installing a bathroom (shower, toilet and sink) in my summer house. It has...
Replies
Views
Looking for any ideas to help. I've a Heatrae Sadia Hot Water tank, heated through Oil fired boiler (working fine). A week ago I reset the air...
Replies
Views
Back