Discuss shower lighting in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

OZZIE

Hi, I am new to the forum and have a question. With recessed spotlights is it necessary to fit a different type above the shower cubicle? Do most people fit all the same light throughout the room or is it normal for the one above the shower to be a "shower light" which differs in appearance from the rest?

Any lights above a shower should be a minimum of IP 44 rated, or IP 65 if less than 2.25 metres from the ground. See this link for guidance:

Bathroom & Shower Area Safe Lighting Guide, Lighting Zones - Bathroom Express UK LTD

(First one I came to on Google)

Personally I'd fit the same lights throughout the bathroom (i.e all IP rated), especially if there isn't a huge price difference. Although if you have a ceiling mounted extractor in the shower just get one with a light...

For some reason I thought that this had changed and that instead of 4 zones there were now only 3 ?

You're right as far as I'm aware there is no zone 3 (maybe bathrooms are getting smaller!) I think they binned it in the 17th Edition wiring regs on the basis that all electrics in bathrooms must now be RCD protected anyway (but I never did 16th Edition so not sure if this applied previously.

Yeah it's all to do with RCD's, the rules are relaxing.

I was explaining to an apprentice how we cross bond for equipotential earthing, and a sparky over heard me and said it doesn't matter any more as long as it's all earthed at the meter/boiler.

My electrician told me that 1 set of regs says its only 3 zones but another set still uses 4 so they still have to work to 4 zones. Not sure exactly about the details but that's all I can remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to shower lighting in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock