Search the forum,

Discuss Shower going from hot to cold - Main Combi 24 Boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hey everyone,

I'm hoping for some help/advice with my shower. I've a Main Combi 24 boiler, and my shower is from a mixer tap over the bath.

When the boiler flame lights, the shower will be hot almost instantly, but a few minutes into the shower it'll go completely ice cold. I'm then soaped up and stood there hopelessly waiting for it to return to hot, which it does after a couple of minutes.

Any ideas out there about how I could fix this/what issue I'm looking at?

I appreciate any and all help.

Eve

Does it do the same with the kitchen hot tap ?

Best to get a gas safe engy out :)

Hey everyone,

I'm hoping for some help/advice with my shower. I've a Main Combi 24 boiler, and my shower is from a mixer tap over the bath.

When the boiler flame lights, the shower will be hot almost instantly, but a few minutes into the shower it'll go completely ice cold. I'm then soaped up and stood there hopelessly waiting for it to return to hot, which it does after a couple of minutes.

Any ideas out there about how I could fix this/what issue I'm looking at?

I appreciate any and all help.

Eve

Any recent modifications in the property?

If this has always happened then its the cold water pressure over powering the hot....you will need different taps. If it is recent fault on boiler....either way get engineer out, do it soon as autumn is coming and all the good ones will be busy. centralheatking

If this has always happened then its the cold water pressure over powering the hot....you will need different taps. If it is recent fault on boiler....either way get engineer out, do it soon as autumn is coming and all the good ones will be busy. centralheatking
I guarantee it wont be that bud the hot and cold water pressure are equal on a combi ;) , its more likely to be a plate heat exchanger restriction and as my fellow engineers have stated it needs a GSI to attend to sort the problem out. Kop

Hi. I have much the same problem with my shower which is fed by a Baxi instant 105e but it only goes cold on the shower. All the taps run fine.
I'm trying to get my head round what you say about the hot and cold feeds being equal pressure. As far as I can see my combi doesn't feed cold water. The cold feed is from the main and doesn't feed from the boiler. Am I missing something here?!
Perhaps the later boilers do this? Thanks. Steve

Thanks for the reply. The boiler man from Brit Gas has been twice and passed the boiler as all good. He said change the thermo mixer which is a bar type. I've changed that and the problem is still there. I was really careful to choose a mixer that copes with low pressure as the water pressure is pretty low here. I also have a water softener that has been a really worthwhile addition about five years ago.
I've had a good trawl through all the different threads here that relate to this problem and it would look like there's a lot of it about. Also, nobody ever reports back with any results, go or bad.
I'm going to maybe change the pipe routing to get optimum flow to the mixer but it does look like I'm on a looser as this shower has been working perfectly since 2005 and all of a sudden, it doesn't.
Can someone recommend a decent electric shower unit?! Thanks. Steve

Reply to Shower going from hot to cold - Main Combi 24 Boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock