Search the forum,

Discuss second hand boilers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
whats your opinion on builders wanting to use second hand boilers, do all the central heating pipework them selves and asking us(plumbers)to commission the boiler...?

No can do
I commission my boilers. Noone else's

check he didnt have spurrs on his boots at the back! tight jeans maybe?? he disguise his horse as a van! is his ring tone the good the bad and the ugly??

all these things are the sign or a true COWBOY

the only way you could do it is for you to fit the boiler and all the gas pipework and just connect up his heating/h+c pipework. signing off/commissioning work done buy a non registered person is a big no no.

I only sign off the stuff I install, I'm not risking my career on someone else perhaps making a silly mistake.

Many people say they won't fit them infront of other engineers, but in reality.. lets face it who is gonna walk away from the opportunity of replacing an existing one with the exact same model, when they can charge the same rate, but yet.. for slightly less work.

I've seen it before, everyone feeds themselves. Not dispiting the fact that it's plain dangerous & etc, if your work is safe and your are ofcourse gas safe registered, then no problem.

Personally i believe it comes down to lack of work availability for some, or even simple non-stop workholics.

Hats of to the men who walk away from it, No involvement, No hassle.. The best way!

firstly, it has to be a band a boiler.
second, you have to hang it and do the flue/gas work yourself.
third, the boiler needs thorough inspection for the risk associated.

does the gas pipe to meter look altered?.etc

To answer the OP tell him to ............off.

I know times are hard for some and a hundred quid or so is a meal on the table and the rent paid but why encourage them.

I've been asked to do this a couple of times but always told em to get bent. Having said that, I can see, in the current financial climate, how it would be tempting. As long as the work is inspected microscopically and ANY fault is identified and remedied (or the installation condemned and reported), at least we may be saving someones life or property. Some customers are getting so tight that they will risk having a boiler fitted by a cowboy to save a few quid and as long as they don't mind not having a warranty there's no come back till the boiler goes bang or someone wakes up dead!

ive no problem with fitting a boiler to someone elses heating and water pipework but i have to fit the boiler flue and gas
anyone on site work will find they have to use gas thats been run by others due to the first fix scenario and the turnover of labour

Been asked the same things bout two weeks ago, two year old worcester installed by bg gotta come out cos of a new extension and wont be big enough to fufill all new requirments. Got a mate who needs it as his has packed up says the builder wanna fit it for him? Hum no ta

Last edited:
I'm with steve on this, if somebody wants to do all the donkey work and run htg pipes and do the rads I'm happy to install a boiler, I would only do this for people I know tho and tell them what size pipe is needed etc.

I would never commission a boiler somebody else did tho.

I'm with steve on this, if somebody wants to do all the donkey work and run htg pipes and do the rads I'm happy to install a boiler, I would only do this for people I know tho and tell them what size pipe is needed etc.

I would never commission a boiler somebody else did tho.
it gets worse the boiler they were wanting installed was a band b.....!!!!

I (like everyone else) wouldn't install a second hand boiler for anyone. If I took out a perfectly good boiler (because it was undersized due to an extension etc) then I might use it for myself, or possibly a family member. Never for a client though.

I've chucked a good few perfectly good boilers in the skip over the years. I used to strip em for parts, but generally I don't bother.

Not a cat in hell's chance would i do that, and would never want me or my company name associated with that type of builder.

It has taken years to build up the companies excellent reputation and would never compromise that.

Bob

To answer the OP tell him to ............off.

I know times are hard for some and a hundred quid or so is a meal on the table and the rent paid but why encourage them.

Best way.

The only job I will do is move an existing oil boiler. Don't touch second hand boilers myself except to strip for parts. Chances are if someone's wanting you to fit a second hand one they are going to be a cheapskate and you are going to have problems getting paid etc.

Firstly I would say, they pay my gas registration fee, training fees, insurance and diesel.

Then I would say that i would want to be there, on a wage to see it done and make sure it was done ok, then pay me for the risk £10,000 a year would be about right. or you could just employ me to do it for you?

Finnaly my warning to anybody who is thinking of doing this, do you know the prison sentence that you can get for this sort of thing?

And "how will they ever know" just doesnt cut it.

Simple answer to secondhand boiler fits, its a straight up yours mate,not interested.
Questions, Where has the boiler previously been?

Why removed=crap boiler , intermittent fault,why dont it work properly when you have fitted it,

Well, it was ok in the last place says the bloke I bought it off. (says customer).

Possibly a knock off job.(may get involved/Police)

Then you've got your leg in and maybe sleepness nights maybe.
O.K I might sound a bit over cautious to some, but i like to sleep at night.
And lets face it . there are plenty of reasonably cheap boilers with long warranties to be
had.

A problem shared is a problem halved. :yes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to second hand boilers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my toilet a good few times nothing is going to the sewer so don't know is there a blockage or what way it works many thanks and advice would be grateful
Replies
Views
My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this for suitability. The thing is my son panics during tests/exams. Is there any book I can buy him to practice the multiple choice test for the exam? What...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock