Discuss Retro fit underfloor heating to kitchen in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kevrmorris

We are renovating our kitchen this year.
The plan for the floor is:
• to insulate with 100mm Kingspan
• install water underfloor heating
• 50mm screed (with reinforcing fibres)
• Relay the original victorian quarry tiles.

My plan was to simply join the underfloor heating pipes from the central heating pipes that run conveniently near. This seems simple enough but when I see the price of underfloor heating packs, and what they contain, I must be missing something??

I know I need to work out the following (which products and how to fit them):
• How attach the pipe to the Kingspan
• Incorporate a thermostat
• Type of 15mm underfloor heating pipe to use and is it compatible with HEP system?
But feel that it must be possible to do a good job on a budget?

We fitted a new Vaillant Ecotec Pro 28 and HEP central heating pipes when we moved in 3 years ago. The area in the kitchen that needs heating is 5square meters.

Advice would be much appreciateted!
Cheers in advance
Kev

If the water actually circulates around the floor it will get too hot.

You need a pump just for the floor circuit and thermostatic control over the floor water temperature.

That's what your missing..

I would get someone in to do it for you. The problem with under floor heating is if you mess it up your whole floor has to come up.

It needs to have a blending valve pump and manifold otherwise as snowhead said the floor will get too hot. I went on a course and they said about somebody cooked their cat on the floor by accident as it got too hot.

Also the last time I fitted under floor heating I needed a minimum of 75mm screed on top to get an even heat across the floor. That could of just been the manufacturer that I used or I could be wrong as it was about 4 years ago but I would make sure you have it right.

Done right under floor is great but costs quite a bit done wrong underfloor is useless and costs a fortune.

What you really need
Is a plumber to do it for you and do a proper job
As sorry but you haven't a clue

Cheers for the advice so far. Take a look at the attached image. This if from a ufh kit selling online. Its obviously a lot simpler than most kits. It was this that led me to believe that ufh can be done in a fairly simple way.
P.S. How come I cant post links on this forum?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-06-12 at 20.31.09.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-06-12 at 20.31.09.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 46
i fitted a single room kit for a customer and they are very happy with itbut it wasnt under screed which takes ages to warm up and needs to be used differently
this went on a insulation board with groves in and was tiled over instructions didnt ask for preasuring which i think is for under screed to stop collapse
needless to say it was tested before tiles went down

UFH is a very simple system, its a continuous piece of pipe in the floor with water flowing through it. The difficulty comes with making it work with your existing system, and floor coverings screed, tiles, laminate etc, which is where you will need plumbing knowledge to spec the pump, pipe system etc, as one size doesn't fit all.

As croppie has said, electric UFH may be a better option if you want to do more of the work yourself.

Electric ufh is expensive to run. I'd be looking at something like stevetheplumber mentioned. With a screed you need to stick more energy into it and then you would have to operate it on a setback function so that you don't have to heat it up from stone cold everytime.

I'll get a plumber in to do it. Not cut any corners so far and under a floor would'nt be the place to start. Any particular brand(s) of ufh come up tops for reliability/ease of use etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Retro fit underfloor heating to kitchen in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Got an underfloor heating to install and Ive done a few repairs on manifolds etc but this is the first design and install for me. Advice and tip...
Replies
Views
Desperate for some help! Be a life saver of someone can help as suffer from a high intolerance to noise. Moved into new house 1940s (copper...
Replies
Views
S
I've got to pipe up an underfloor heating system, the heating manifold is under a heat only boiler and the central heating pump is fitted in a...
Replies
Views
B
Hello. We have under floor heating fed from the combi boiler in our kitchen. It has a grundfos pump attached. We recently had a polished concrete...
Replies
Views
N
Hi - some advice would be appreciated. We are doing a refurb and are having water based underfloor heating installed. The top layer will be 15mm...
Replies
Views
Gnorw er’uoy
G
Back