Search the forum,

Discuss Recent changes to unvented / G3 regs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Masood

I'm almost 100% certain there was a thread a little while ago that mentioned the 15lt limit for non-G3 qualified had been done away with, and that ALL pressurised hot water installations had to be done by a G3 qualified person.

I'm also almost sure that the same thread mentioned that the demarcation between unvented and vented had been done away with, and anybody working on stored hot water systems had to be G3 qualified.

Did I dream this? Am I going gaga? If not, please can someone point me towards any documentation outlining these changes?

Ta very much!

dont believe he did dream that one, vented systems now included under g3 to cover prevention of scalding etc

logic posted this blurb at the time:

Prompted by an increase in reported hot water scalding accidents, namely by the young and elderly, revisions to Part G of the Building Regulations came into force last April.

The main amendments to the Building Regulations are as follows:

• Baths in new homes must be fitted with protective measures, such as a thermostatic mixing valve, limiting the temperature of the hot water.
• A water efficiency standard of 125 litres per day for new homes.
• Extension of existing safety measures to all types of hot water systems (not just vented ones)
• Clear guidelines for where grey water and harvested rainwater can be safely used

These changes now affect all heating and hot water installations across England and Wales, with the most significant alterations to section G3 of the building regulations.

G3: Hot water supply & systems
Previously this part of the regulation only included unvented hot water, but now covers all systems, including:

• Cold water storage cistern changes
• Updated requirements for discharge from safety devices
• Solar hot water
• Plastic soil stacks
• Heater wholesome water
• Vented hot water storage systems

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm intruigued with this as I raised a similar point ages ago.

I mean the 15L limit only. I have never seen that ammendment

it got mentioned on my last g3 course, cant remember which way it went, but I dont care as I have the ticket anyhow :)

15l is still the limit. I updated my G3 last month. It includes vented and unvented but only require separate qualification to carry out unvented works above 15l as it always has been.

Must be one of those things they keep meaning to update then don't for whatever reason. Probably because they can't afford to deal with all the extra dodgy installs that will no doubt come to light. I was told it at my last unvented renewal and back in the day at college that it was going to change

Well when you think about it. The 15L limit is simply to seperate boilers with a small integral storage volume. Not a lot can go wrong with them from a safety perspective as they are produced by the manufacturers.
There is a lot to wrong with bad bespoke installs with shoddy workmanship

Thanks gents! I pretty much ignored it as I have G3 but this clears up what I can or can't sub out..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Recent changes to unvented / G3 regs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, We have a large Heatrea Sadia unvented hot water tank, not sure of the size in liters but its about 1600mm tall. The tank is around 3 years old now and was amazing when it was first installed. Around a year ago we had a problem with water dripping from the overflow pipe outside and we ended...
Replies
Views
Hey all, Looking for some advice. My mother recently had her boiler changed but in the process the water had to be turned on and off as you would expect and the engineer broke of the handle. Luckily it seems you can close the valve with some pliers on the but I don't believe this is best for...
Replies
Views
Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. Before I start I am G3 qualified. As per usual I was asked to rectify a leak on a combination valve. I installed a like for like 3.5 bar valve, all good, however I I checked pressure in exp vessel to find no pressure at all (Never been...
Replies
Views
R
Hi, I’ve purchased a new build property and had a few issues with the unvented hot water system. I’ve now asked the developer, builder and plumber for proof of G3 certificate of the plumbers but have been told they have no need to show me this. I’ve searched the gas safe register and it’s not...
Replies
Views
Hi all. As the title says, I have a problem with an unvented cylinder I had installed last year where the first time I turn a hot tap on after the cylinder has been heated I get what sounds like a vibration. It generally starts about 1s after I open the tap and lasts for about 1.5s. I've...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock