Search the forum,

Discuss Unvented Hot Water System in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

R

Rachael1278

Hi, I’ve purchased a new build property and had a few issues with the unvented hot water system. I’ve now asked the developer, builder and plumber for proof of G3 certificate of the plumbers but have been told they have no need to show me this. I’ve searched the gas safe register and it’s not showing on their profile, however this doesn’t tell me definitely that they do not hold the qualification.
Anybody know what I can do to check this? Building control who signed off the house are basically unhelpful/uninterested.

Yes it’s a requirement for them to prove it’s been installed safely also you should have a building control certificate saying it’s been installed and upto spec any pictures of the cylinder/ pipework and what’s the problems?

The certification side of things all a bit of a farcical nonsense in my opinion and experience so I wouldn't get too hung up on that. Building control won't know anything about it.
What are the issues?

Yes it’s a requirement for them to prove it’s been installed safely also you should have a building control certificate saying it’s been installed and upto spec any pictures of the cylinder/ pipework and what’s the problems?
Hi, tried replying previously but not sure it uploaded?
Initially the immersion heater was left on which covered up faults with mechanical valves. That’s now sorted but the cylinder appears not to be holding any heat. I had the boiler on constantly as advised by the plumber but when I turn it on to timed (2 hours in the morning and evening daily) after a couple of days I only have like warm water, even straight after the timed period.

F697894F-4F1E-4070-9A03-CA1224773E80.jpeg

Attachments

• AD235492-50A7-46F2-807A-24997713734E.jpeg
    AD235492-50A7-46F2-807A-24997713734E.jpeg
    206.2 KB · Views: 26
  • DEA57985-37E9-4B9E-A473-DD7D54A43010.jpeg
    DEA57985-37E9-4B9E-A473-DD7D54A43010.jpeg
    207.6 KB · Views: 28
Hi, tried replying previously but not sure it uploaded?
Initially the immersion heater was left on which covered up faults with mechanical valves. That’s now sorted but the cylinder appears not to be holding any heat. I had the boiler on constantly as advised by the plumber but when I turn it on to timed (2 hours in the morning and evening daily) after a couple of days I only have like warm water, even straight after the timed period.

View attachment 79170

I also can’t have the secondary loop turned on as this drains the stored hot water even quicker

It’s because of your secondary return pump top left gold pump I’m guessing the pipes arnt insulated well and there’s no check valve on it

Also check the cylinder stat is should be on 60-65 / in the middle of these box to the left of the immersion

It’s because of your secondary return pump top left gold pump I’m guessing the pipes arnt insulated well and there’s no check valve on it
Thank you 😊.
Should the pipes be insulated for the whole loop or just the exposed ones I can see?
Am I correct in thinking that this issue is something that all competent plumbers would spot and be aware of, and lack of knowledge from my plumber in this respect is giving me doubts on his competency for the safety of the whole set up.

The certification side of things all a bit of a farcical nonsense in my opinion and experience so I wouldn't get too hung up on that. Building control won't know anything about it.
What are the issues?
The cylinder now doesn’t hold heat. Boiler timed for twice a day, 2 hours but only get Luke warm water. Cannot have the secondary loop on as this drains the hot water even quicker.
I’ve uploaded pics
Thank you for your reply 😊

Thank you 😊.
Should the pipes be insulated for the whole loop or just the exposed ones I can see?
Am I correct in thinking that this issue is something that all competent plumbers would spot and be aware of, and lack of knowledge from my plumber in this respect is giving me doubts on his competency for the safety of the whole set up.
Apologies for bombarding you with questions.
Where should the return into the cylinder from the secondary loop be? Is it joined to the main cold feed as part of its loop?

Thank you 😊.
Both as it’s a secondary system

If you can try closing one of the valves on the bronze pump eg pair of pliers turn clockwise

And tbh yes as it’s part of the signing off process are all pipes insulated eg if you look in the back of the cylinder instructions should be a commissioning page

The cylinder now doesn’t hold heat. Boiler timed for twice a day, 2 hours but only get Luke warm water. Cannot have the secondary loop on as this drains the hot water even quicker.
I’ve uploaded pics
Thank you for your reply 😊
There is a possible issue that needs ruling out. Is there a stop tap on the cold fill side of the cylinder? I cannot see from the photo's. It would normally be before that multi block (brass) on the back right hand side.

Both as it’s a secondary system

If you can try closing one of the valves on the bronze pump eg pair of pliers turn clockwise

And tbh yes as it’s part of the signing off process are all pipes insulated eg if you look in the back of the cylinder instructions should be a commissioning page
Hi, I will try this as soon as I’m back home. Sorry to sound silly but what will I be looking to happen once I close this valve?

The checklist says it’s insulated! I don’t think it will be possible for me to ever know if the full length has been insulated as it’s underneath concrete flooring in a void! Can I do anything about the checklist having false information?

Will stop any flow from the secondary / pump side incase it’s moving that way

The pipework isn’t insulated on show so I would contact your solicitor

Yes either one is fine

And it returns into the secondary port eg that pipe what goes into the cylinder from the pump

Hope this helps

Normally fitted to bathrooms / taps the other end of the house / far away from the cylinder as you have to run the hot tap for a while to get hot water due to the distance and the cold water in the pipe as it’s unlagged/ gone cold etc

1668531984768.png

You haven't got the valve I wanted to see but never mind. Once you have closed the valve Shaun asked you to, close the one on the very top of the cylinder too. There should be no water from hot taps after an initial short run off.
Open them both again once you have found out whether it stops running or not.

but did you reheat the cylinder for an hour?

You haven't got the valve I wanted to see but never mind. Once you have closed the valve Shaun asked you to, close the one on the very top of the cylinder too. There should be no water from hot taps after an initial short run off.
Open them both again once you have found out whether it stops running or not.
Evening, the water stopped after the initial run off as you said.

And if you can keep a note on how long the boiler is fired / on

Reply to Unvented Hot Water System in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock