Discuss Rates in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Leoki

May i have a view from readers of what would be a REASONABLE hourly rate for general domestic plumbing. The area that i am working in is hot and cold pipework and sanitary ware repairs/replacement.

I need to earn to pay the bills but i do not want to overcharge. I want to start to build up a customer base where hopefully word of mouth will generate work for me so getting my pricing right is important.

I have been part time plumbing for over a year but i am gradually moving into more full time work.

Thankyou in advance for any responses.

:)

Hello mate, Prices vary as to where you are in the country, cities etc. I personally think and find most people are fine with £60 ph. However some people are not and have zero grasp of the economic structure of you business. One woman last week slammed the phone down when I told her £55 for a trv swap, I thought that was pretty good price for leeds city centre. Another lady I spoke to thought I would swap her syphon and fit outside tap for £15 labour. It's sometimes not their fault and some will try and barter you down so you might want to think about putting a charge on your materials too and going for a very competitive rate to begin with. You will get varied answers here from many plumbers some of which do gas or/and installs and some just do emergencies which will alter rates too. Though don't shoot yourself in the foot by being really low just to get in the work , I did when I first set up and when I went back to do jobs a couple of years later it was almost triple what i was charging previously and custards get funny with you. Just be fair and stick to your guns , the second hour could be a little lower and do an oap discount maybe?

One man band with low overheads I would look at £25-£30ph for plumbing work and £40-£45 per hour for gas work

£160 day rate for plumbing work
£225 for gas work

IMO

£40 for the first hour or part thereof £30 for each subsequent hour or part thereof plus parts.
custards are happy to pay this.

Please don't charge £25 per hour, it's these rates that are killing the plumbing industry. £60 per hour + £35 for each additional hour up to a decent daily rate is more like it.

Its a case of working out exactly how much your running costs are and then adding a reasonable profit?

Don't forget profits are not wages nor are they investments in the company, those should be included in your unit hourly running costs, profits are money for nothing.

Excessive profits seem to get up peoples noses, including Plumbers noses if its their merchants or their costs. So Plumbers over charging also get up peoples noses.

Ask yourself what you would happily pay for a Plumber and you have answered yourself.

if your customersare charging £5.50 per hour then they wont be using u if your £60 per hour so you have to tailor your prices according to whereyou are. Also what are your skills, if your only doing basic works then you cant really justify big bills but if you have to support large investments in vans freezing units etc etc then your prices have to be able to keep you in business. Common sense really, if you can only get £20 to 25 an hour initially then thats your limit, get going and then as your skills change so can your prices. I used to be £15 per hour 4/5 years back and now charge £55 first hour and 35 thereafter and if its the weekend or evenings get the cheque book out and breath in slowly if your a customer

I think it depends on the job and situation. If I phone a local plumber and say 'I have a ballcock overflowing that needs replacing can you do it in the next few days'? I am not going to pay £60 for the skills that are needed in opening and shutting a stop tap, climbing a loft ladder and undoing/tightening a couple of nuts.

As a pensioner on £14k I am unlikely to pay £60 for a task like this. I will do it myself. If he says get a new ballcock and valve assembly and I will fit it for £30 I may well say OK.

Thankyou for all of the responses, i have some good ideas to consider. :)

To be honest if someone phones me up and wants to go and change a ballcock I wouldnt do it for less than £60. I can earn other money elsewhere so if they want me to do it thats the price if not they can find someone else.

SorryI know some might not agree but at the end of they day I have a business to run

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Rates in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock