Discuss Radiator in new extension won't get hot. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

0redrum0

Hi,
hoping someone can help out here. I have just had a single storey extension built size 5x4m and we've had one rad installed. The radiator only gets slightly warm on the left hand side. I've had the plumber back round and he suggested turning all the other rads off to get the flow forced through this one rad but that makes the rad go totally cold. He teed his flow and return into the flow and return directly off the boiler. He's now suggesting boiler might not be man enough but I'm not buying that explanation. It just seems that the water doesn't want to flow in that direction.
the boiler is in the garage and the pipe lengths to and from this rad are approx 6 m. Any advice appreciated.

Balancing, balancing, balancing......

Attachments

• How To Balance Radiators.txt
    3.2 KB · Views: 26
No way its the boiler being too small - as above do what Mr Crop says but if you have a TRV
on the rad it might be stuck even if new - undo trv head tap pin and see what happens CHK

Hi,
hoping someone can help out here. I have just had a single storey extension built size 5x4m and we've had one rad installed. The radiator only gets slightly warm on the left hand side. I've had the plumber back round and he suggested turning all the other rads off to get the flow forced through this one rad but that makes the rad go totally cold. He teed his flow and return into the flow and return directly off the boiler. He's now suggesting boiler might not be man enough but I'm not buying that explanation. It just seems that the water doesn't want to flow in that direction.
the boiler is in the garage and the pipe lengths to and from this rad are approx 6 m. Any advice appreciated.

The highlighted part is ringing warning bells for me. What sort of boiler is it? Do you have an airing cupboard with a pump and other controls?

The highlighted part is ringing warning bells for me. What sort of boiler is it? Do you have an airing cupboard with a pump and other controls?

Hi, thanks for reply. It's an ideal SE18FF 6 yrs old it was installed when house was originally built 6 yrs ago. The pump is upstairs in the airing cupboard. Where the 2 copper pipes come out and return to the top of boiler he has teed into each of these with white plastic pipe. These then run down the back wall of the garage about 6 feet long go through the wall and into the new ext. they run under the floor about 4m to the rad.

Hi
its an ideal SE18FF. New when house built 6 yrs ago. The boiler is in the garage which the new ext backs onto. Where the 2 copper pipes come out of the top of the boiler he has teed white plastic pipe into of these, I assume flow and return to boiler. These pipes then turn 90 deg run vertically down inside wall of the garage about 6 ft in length go through the wall into ext and run under the concrete floor about 4 m to the rad. We have an airing cupboard on the 1 st floor and the CH pump is in there.

thanks

photo of how hes teed into boiler in garage

photo.jpg

If he has connected in at the boiler this will only work if its a system boiler, combi, or the pump is sited at the boiler.
do you know where the pump is?

Go on tell us more - we can help you - diagrams and pics help - this is a nice thread to my mind CHK

The OP has Pmed me with the following.

Hi thanks for replying to my thread, I've tried to respond a few times but it won't post, it keeps saying waiting for moderate to approve, maybe cos I'm new???
anyway the boiler is an ideal classic SE18 FF I've looked it up and it says conventional boiler.
we have an airing cupboard upstairs which contains a hot water cylinder and the CH pump is in there. I have a photo but my ipad won't let me upload it on here.

What I suspected is true and the feeds to the rad have been taken off the primaries before the pump. The feeds to the rad need to be taken from the heating circuit after the pump. It will never work in the current configuration. I would suggest time to request a refund from the original "plumber" and get someone in that knows what they are doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Radiator in new extension won't get hot. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, We had an extension built seven years ago. Initially the builders' plumber connected the heating to the house system but this didn't work...
Replies
Views
Hi all. I noticed this winter my living room rad only get hot in the top half. Radiator is 1600mm(DP SC) double panel single convector. System...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, just want to get some advise, basically new vaillant regular boiler has been fitted approx 5 yrs ago, i believe it was back boiler...
Replies
Views
Hi - I'm a reasonably experienced DIY plumber but just can't work out why the last new rad I've installed is cold - would really appreciate your...
Replies
Views
G
I've just bought a 3-floor house with a gas boiler on the ground floor and hot water tank on the middle floor. When I switch on the hot water at...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back