Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Problem with concealed cistern flushing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DIY-Dave

Hi all - I have just fitted a new pan to an old concealed cistern - the cistern is behind tiled plasterboard. I have 'refurbished' the cistern by replacing the syphon and ball valve. However the flush is now not powerful to flush properly and keeps going for a long time.

Is this because the syphon is not compatible with the new pan and I need to replace the syphon with a flush valve? If so is the type of flush valve and the size of the cistern important? (It's an old cistern capacity greater than 6 Litres).

Any help would be greatly appreciated - thank you.

I would suggest that there is a problem with the new gear in the cistern. Is the float allowing enough water level in the cidtern. Did you adjust it ??

Thanks for your quick reply - yes the water level is more or less as high as it can go. Could it be the size of the syphon that is the problem?

check your syphon with the old one [assuming you still have it] it needs to be the same as it was the one designed for this cistern. while they may all look the same some are higher off the base of the cistern some also have plugs to allow for different amounts of water i.e 6/7.5/9ltr to flush so proberbly easier to over haul old syphon hope this helps:) regards turnpin

Thanks Turnpin. Unfortunately I don't have the old syphon any more so stuck there.
I was told though that flush valves provided a stronger flush than syphons - so wonder if that could be why the syphon does not work with the new pan? Any ideas on that? Dave

what is the make of the syphon you have now fitted? theoretically [cor that was hard work] it should be more than adequate as new pan bowls are designed to work with less wateri.e 6ltrs so your old cistern may have up to 9 ltrs to supply. I wonder if there is a problem with the water ways in the back inlet of your new pan perhaps an obstruction of some sort will look out for your reply:)regards turnpin

I've had a look at the receipt but it doesn't say what make the syphon is - I shall try and find out. Will also check to see if the flushcone is causing any problems and that everything else looks ok. Thanks again Turnpin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Problem with concealed cistern flushing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock