Search the forum,

Discuss plumbers moving to NEWZEALAND in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JD24HOURS

my advice is dont bother they dont recognise our corgi/plumbing exp/qualifications and i must say it is very depressing ive been in taupo 2+years please feel free to ask questions BUT I WILL TELL YOU THE TRUTH as i wish someone had told me as i wouldnt have moved here

OH AND BY THE WAY IF YOU THINK WE HAVE BAD PLUMBERS IN THE UK YOU SHOULD MEET KIWI PLUMBERS THERE TRAINING IS SO POOR never employ a kiwi plumber

how much you earning out there. it cant all be doom and gloom if youve stayed 2 years?

What is your quality of life like in comparison to the UK?

Given the opportunity would you do it again?

Although your qualifications are worthless have you had to re-qualify? Was it easy?

Are you plumbing now or doing something else?

What is the biggest adjustment you've had to make?

How did you get there on whose/what qual's?

The reason I'm interested is I going to NZ in March for a month as a recce as I intend to go within a couple of years, so, any info you give will be appreciated. Please be as blunt as you like.....

Currently applying for my Canadian permanent residence visa.
From asking people when I was last over at Christmas, plumbers earn around $90 CDN per hour(unless I've been blagged).

The women(they're rougher than the blokes)LOL

how much you earning out there. it cant all be doom and gloom if youve stayed 2 years?
hi shaun
we moved so the family would have better life, the nz immigration dept they told me we would be able to re start my plumbing and gas business in nz at no time did they say my qualifications and 16yrs (my own business)exp would be useless because the plumbers board (PGDB)dont recognise uk quals.so this means that i cant even change an outside tap because if i do they will take to court so how do you think you would feel,I feel like ive had my living taken from me which i was proud off thanks JD sorry the wages would be about 15dollars an hour 6.50 pounds average 45to55k dollars and when you say poor wages they say its a life style BUT I SAY YOU STILL NEED MONEY TO HAVE LIFE STYLE

just check that your quals and experience are recognised with the plumbers board there and dont just take the word of the immigration dept the other thing is look at cost of living housing/cars food etc , because in nz housing cars are cheap if you take out lots of pounds but day to day thing like food and bills are more exspensive than the ukso i say just check and good luck JD

Last edited by a moderator:
cor blimey...
i am pencilled in for going there too in a couple of years or so, gulp.
so your saying a gas fitter only gets ÂŁ6.50 an hour?

ps. drop in your location in you info page.

hi redsaw34 and secret squirel
first i like the landy so you like hunting you would love nz ,secret s call me 006473774141 or [email protected]

yes wages are poor if you work for someone else and you will find you know far more about plumbing and gas than they do call me now 006473774141

cor blimey...
i am pencilled in for going there too in a couple of years or so, gulp.
so your saying a gas fitter only gets ÂŁ6.50 an hour?

ps. drop in your location in you info page.

hi mate i live in the centre of the north island at taupo overlooking the lake

Hello Helpsy,

What is attracting you to Canda?
My Mrs is Canadian and got her British citizenship now and she's been here 4 1/2 years and now wants us to go and live in Canada. I fancy giving it a go over there, I've been over there about 8 times now and like it, so why not give it a shot.
We can always come back if not.
I only recently passed 6129 level 2 and unvented(so minimal real life experience). I got offered a job to start as soon as I get off the plane(maybe different when it comes to that point).
Apparently talking to people and family in Canada they're crying out for plumbers.

If your looking at emigrating to Canada, US, NZ and OZ etc there is a website with all info and newspaper etc, worth a look. Guide to Emigrating Abroad, Advice & Information on Overseas Emigration

Last edited:
my advice is dont bother they dont recognise our corgi/plumbing exp/qualifications and i must say it is very depressing ive been in taupo 2+years please feel free to ask questions BUT I WILL TELL YOU THE TRUTH as i wish someone had told me as i wouldnt have moved here

OH AND BY THE WAY IF YOU THINK WE HAVE BAD PLUMBERS IN THE UK YOU SHOULD MEET KIWI PLUMBERS THERE TRAINING IS SO POOR never employ a kiwi plumber
In 2004 my friend and ex boss Niel (started me on my aprenticship) moved to Gisbourn NZ, he found work as a plumber but was then had the same probs as you, he would have to retrain for 2yrs under supervision of a Kiwi plumber, Niel was 38 at the time and had been a plumber since 16 working for his dads company then running his own bussines in Newark Nottingham. There was no way he was going to be somones aprentice again he started doing tiling and odd jobs etc, in 2005 he started supplying and fitting tiles from his garage outside his house.
It has been a struggle for Niel and his wife and 2 young chilldren they have had some very rough financial struggles, but finnaly thier hard work has/is paying off hes gone from a shed to a shop to large unit. Gisborne Tiles from The Tile Shed Id love to live in NZ I spent a month there last year, its a bit like the uk but 30 yrs behind, heres a pic of me in my 4ltr Ford falcon XR6 Hire car. resised xr6.jpg

Hi there,
Does anyone know wether Australlia recognises UK qualifications ??or does one have to re -qualify like in NZ.

15 an hour, okay.
how much is a beer in the local bar.
how much is a meal out in the local carvery
how much is a posh meal out
and finally the price of a tin of beans in the local supermarket please

many thanks

Hi there,
Does anyone know wether Australlia recognises UK qualifications ??or does one have to re -qualify like in NZ.
Dont quote me here but I seem to think that its easier to get a job in oz, Iam sure that its also a back door route into employment into Nz.

15 an hour, okay.
how much is a beer in the local bar.
how much is a meal out in the local carvery
how much is a posh meal out
and finally the price of a tin of beans in the local supermarket please

many thanks
Beer is good but not in pints! ÂŁ3 a bottle? meals out etc were a similiar price to the uk. Petrol was 68 pence per litre.
I was in Iceland (the country not the supermarket) in 2007, beer was ÂŁ11 a pint, cheap bottle of wine ie ÂŁ3 in Sainsburys was ÂŁ40+ in a average resturant, alot cheaper now since thier economy collapsed.

Hi there,
I know NSW and QLD don't recognise our quals. Google pomsinoz, it's a forum that could come in handy if you're thinking about making the move.

uk qualifications are not recognised in oz.. there was a possible avenue in the QLD for corgi reg plumbers.. there the gas qualifications were recognised but you would have to go back to college to get qualified for general plumbing.
In oz you have to be registered for general plumbing /gas works and also drainage.. you cannot do any drain works with out the correct qualifications...
But there are plenty of ex pat plumbers doing "handyman services.. tiling/ bathroom reno's a bit of plumbing/painting".. which pays the bills..
It just takes too long to re-register as a plumber..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to plumbers moving to NEWZEALAND in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock