Discuss Plumb centre robbing sods! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Millsy 82

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
The robbing b-stards charged me 8.50 + vat for a washing machine tee screwfix is £3 something!

I didn't notice as I bought it with a load of other things.

I also got prices on some boiler parts and went somewhere else as I thought they were more expensive and got them £30 cheaper.

I've had enough of them now the only problem is they are the cheapest by quite a way on baxi boilers.

Just get your Baxis from them and tell them why you'll get your other stuff elsewhere
Or sit down with them for an hour or so and get some decent terms set up
I'm probly a nightmare customer as I question every price from any merchants

or just go to a merchant that gives you stand discount across the range on most products.

Its better to use any merchant regularly as they will look after you if you spend enough. Buying stuff from here there any anywhere seems better at the time rarely works out. I order from a local merchant / supplier every week. They may not be able to supply the boilers etc. at online prices but everything else such as copper and controls soon makes up the difference. The biggest difference is how much you spend and how often

i'm non-gas and do mainly small maintenance so it's basically pointless for me to step inside a normal merchant unless they have something i can't find in fixtoolscrewstation. so far the only thing is foam doughnut washers.

I know some people enjoy the cut and thrust of haggling, but we prefer our single, transparent, price policy.

We charge £2.45+VAT for that wash-mac tee, and are making an reasonable profit at that price. Why should it matter how much you spend? Tesco's don't give me better prices if I go there more often!

The moment that a merchant decides to maintain a discounting / multiple-pricing policy, two things unavoidably happen.

Firstly, the merchant acquires an additional overhead, because they have to employ someone to negotiate that discount, and then to administer both the discount and the inevitable cock ups

Secondly, the plumber has to spend time negotiating prices in the first place and then checking his invoices, to make sure he has been given his terms correctly. He also risks getting ripped off if he buys an item that he has not previously negotiated terms on.

Both of these add cost to the transaction - the former ends up being recovered through higher average margins, and the latter via wasted time. The plumber pays for both these additional costs.

We prefer to work out the best price that we can afford to sell an item for, and then offer it at that price to all customers. If there are economies of scale to be had, we will gain them by aggregating thousands of small customers, rather than a handful of big companies. This also has advantages of spreading risk.

We do not then have to hire salesmen to negotiate, or sales administrators to keep track of credit notes for overcharges. The saving that we make by not hiring those people goes back into either lower prices or better service. We make a reasonable profit - enough to pay our bills and invest in opening more branches.

Simples!

I prefer to use the same merchant for everything unless its not in stock or they don't sell it, I get a fair price across everything and the odd time I've forgot something they just give it to me, also have the option to take gear on a note and pay later

I know some people enjoy the cut and thrust of haggling, but we prefer our single, transparent, price policy.

We charge £2.45+VAT for that wash-mac tee, and are making an reasonable profit at that price. Why should it matter how much you spend? Tesco's don't give me better prices if I go there more often!

The moment that a merchant decides to maintain a discounting / multiple-pricing policy, two things unavoidably happen.

Firstly, the merchant acquires an additional overhead, because they have to employ someone to negotiate that discount, and then to administer both the discount and the inevitable cock ups

Secondly, the plumber has to spend time negotiating prices in the first place and then checking his invoices, to make sure he has been given his terms correctly. He also risks getting ripped off if he buys an item that he has not previously negotiated terms on.

Both of these add cost to the transaction - the former ends up being recovered through higher average margins, and the latter via wasted time. The plumber pays for both these additional costs.

We prefer to work out the best price that we can afford to sell an item for, and then offer it at that price to all customers. If there are economies of scale to be had, we will gain them by aggregating thousands of small customers, rather than a handful of big companies. This also has advantages of spreading risk.

We do not then have to hire salesmen to negotiate, or sales administrators to keep track of credit notes for overcharges. The saving that we make by not hiring those people goes back into either lower prices or better service. We make a reasonable profit - enough to pay our bills and invest in opening more branches.

Simples!

From the god of sellers from a buyer your prices are among the best.

I do appreciate your teams works very hard to deliver at good prices but we all have choices in what we buy.

quality material at a good price is different to mass sold products sold by those that do not know the difference

For example 15mm gate valve you can buy quality and you can buy cheap.

It all depends on what you do and where your working

Here Here for Ray

Thats what I have always thought and I put 90% of my business through them.

I know I am not a big customer for them and I wont get the best possible prices but I still expect to get the best I can and certainly not paying retail on some bits.

This is the 3rd thing now 1st I asked for a price on a worcester expansion vessel got told £80+ Vat on the phone half an hour later I got charged £93+Vat so I kicked off about that. The 2nd was the price on baxi flue bits I can get cheaper at screwfix and now this.

Simples!

If you were down here ray then I would use your company but the hassle of waaiting in for deliveries is not worth it. I know your not the cheapest on everything but the smaller bits make it up.

I do like the fact that I know the prices and I can just browse through your website to find what I want and everytime I have used your lot it has been fine. So hurry up and open somewhere in Redruth!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Plumb centre robbing sods! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all, We recently purchased a house and nothing seems to work correctly here, I've spent weeks rectifying issues. Plumbing, electrical...
Replies
Views
I don't work now due to being ancient. I looked at a 'Range cooker' fired on kero. It had a slow leak that turned into a bad leak in a month! It...
Replies
Views
Hi all This is only about my third/fourth post, so go easy. Also, I'm only an enthusiastic amateur, not a pro... I'm having issues with the...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I have been having quite a lot of blockage issues with the sink waste pipe and so decided to take the waste pipe to the drain...
Replies
Views
Now sorted... don’t bother reading this stupid long post. Hi, I’ve got a bit of a head scratcher here and wondered what you guys would make of...
Replies
Views
Sharp Point
S
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock