Search the forum,

Discuss Plumb centre robbing sods! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Millsy 82

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
The robbing b-stards charged me 8.50 + vat for a washing machine tee screwfix is £3 something!

I didn't notice as I bought it with a load of other things.

I also got prices on some boiler parts and went somewhere else as I thought they were more expensive and got them £30 cheaper.

I've had enough of them now the only problem is they are the cheapest by quite a way on baxi boilers.

Just get your Baxis from them and tell them why you'll get your other stuff elsewhere
Or sit down with them for an hour or so and get some decent terms set up
I'm probly a nightmare customer as I question every price from any merchants

or just go to a merchant that gives you stand discount across the range on most products.

Its better to use any merchant regularly as they will look after you if you spend enough. Buying stuff from here there any anywhere seems better at the time rarely works out. I order from a local merchant / supplier every week. They may not be able to supply the boilers etc. at online prices but everything else such as copper and controls soon makes up the difference. The biggest difference is how much you spend and how often

i'm non-gas and do mainly small maintenance so it's basically pointless for me to step inside a normal merchant unless they have something i can't find in fixtoolscrewstation. so far the only thing is foam doughnut washers.

I know some people enjoy the cut and thrust of haggling, but we prefer our single, transparent, price policy.

We charge £2.45+VAT for that wash-mac tee, and are making an reasonable profit at that price. Why should it matter how much you spend? Tesco's don't give me better prices if I go there more often!

The moment that a merchant decides to maintain a discounting / multiple-pricing policy, two things unavoidably happen.

Firstly, the merchant acquires an additional overhead, because they have to employ someone to negotiate that discount, and then to administer both the discount and the inevitable cock ups

Secondly, the plumber has to spend time negotiating prices in the first place and then checking his invoices, to make sure he has been given his terms correctly. He also risks getting ripped off if he buys an item that he has not previously negotiated terms on.

Both of these add cost to the transaction - the former ends up being recovered through higher average margins, and the latter via wasted time. The plumber pays for both these additional costs.

We prefer to work out the best price that we can afford to sell an item for, and then offer it at that price to all customers. If there are economies of scale to be had, we will gain them by aggregating thousands of small customers, rather than a handful of big companies. This also has advantages of spreading risk.

We do not then have to hire salesmen to negotiate, or sales administrators to keep track of credit notes for overcharges. The saving that we make by not hiring those people goes back into either lower prices or better service. We make a reasonable profit - enough to pay our bills and invest in opening more branches.

Simples!

I prefer to use the same merchant for everything unless its not in stock or they don't sell it, I get a fair price across everything and the odd time I've forgot something they just give it to me, also have the option to take gear on a note and pay later

I know some people enjoy the cut and thrust of haggling, but we prefer our single, transparent, price policy.

We charge £2.45+VAT for that wash-mac tee, and are making an reasonable profit at that price. Why should it matter how much you spend? Tesco's don't give me better prices if I go there more often!

The moment that a merchant decides to maintain a discounting / multiple-pricing policy, two things unavoidably happen.

Firstly, the merchant acquires an additional overhead, because they have to employ someone to negotiate that discount, and then to administer both the discount and the inevitable cock ups

Secondly, the plumber has to spend time negotiating prices in the first place and then checking his invoices, to make sure he has been given his terms correctly. He also risks getting ripped off if he buys an item that he has not previously negotiated terms on.

Both of these add cost to the transaction - the former ends up being recovered through higher average margins, and the latter via wasted time. The plumber pays for both these additional costs.

We prefer to work out the best price that we can afford to sell an item for, and then offer it at that price to all customers. If there are economies of scale to be had, we will gain them by aggregating thousands of small customers, rather than a handful of big companies. This also has advantages of spreading risk.

We do not then have to hire salesmen to negotiate, or sales administrators to keep track of credit notes for overcharges. The saving that we make by not hiring those people goes back into either lower prices or better service. We make a reasonable profit - enough to pay our bills and invest in opening more branches.

Simples!

From the god of sellers from a buyer your prices are among the best.

I do appreciate your teams works very hard to deliver at good prices but we all have choices in what we buy.

quality material at a good price is different to mass sold products sold by those that do not know the difference

For example 15mm gate valve you can buy quality and you can buy cheap.

It all depends on what you do and where your working

Here Here for Ray

Thats what I have always thought and I put 90% of my business through them.

I know I am not a big customer for them and I wont get the best possible prices but I still expect to get the best I can and certainly not paying retail on some bits.

This is the 3rd thing now 1st I asked for a price on a worcester expansion vessel got told £80+ Vat on the phone half an hour later I got charged £93+Vat so I kicked off about that. The 2nd was the price on baxi flue bits I can get cheaper at screwfix and now this.

Simples!

If you were down here ray then I would use your company but the hassle of waaiting in for deliveries is not worth it. I know your not the cheapest on everything but the smaller bits make it up.

I do like the fact that I know the prices and I can just browse through your website to find what I want and everytime I have used your lot it has been fine. So hurry up and open somewhere in Redruth!

Simples!
Have to say im not convinced by your argument.

For example - That is the exact reason you dont sell baxi because you cant negotiate a price you want based on the size of your spend.

And your presumption is that the buyer will always presume you will be the cheapest because you fly under the "trade only banner".

But the reality is, certainly in relation to boilers im my experience, that I find you simply arent close with most except a main eco elite.

Sorry this is gonna upset a few peeps but that is my observation.

Im sure you do have good prices on some bits and bobs but its not across the board. And yet you are trade only so according to your argument - why is that the case ???
I already know the answer though - your business model is a double edged sword which limits your own bargaining power because of your limited customer base.
If I was to pick 100 items i use im sure I could get 80% of them for less from others operating via a different business model.

Wooolsy can sell me one cheap because for everyone they sell me cheap - they probably sell 5 or more at higher prices to enable true trade discounts based on spend.

i.e i buy more i pay less.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have to say im not convinced by your argument.

Hi Phill. It would be funny old world if we all agreed with each other! :)

However, there are a couple of misconceptions in your post...

For example - That is the exact reason you dont sell baxi because you cant negotiate a price you want based on the size of your spend.

Nope. The reason we don't sell baxi is because in their current channel strategy, they don't want us to sell that brand so they have made the pricing unsustainable. Its a complex and quite political issue, but our spending power is now at least twice what it was when we last had a great deal on Baxi, so its not about spending power. I believe its mostly about BDR group wanting to increase the penetration of the Main brand by forcing it through certain independent merchant channels. I have no doubt that this will change at some point, and we will stock Baxi again.

And your presumption is that the buyer will always presume you will be the cheapest because you fly under the "trade only banner".

Nope. Our "trade only" policy has two rationales. Firstly, trade customers don't have to wait in line on our trade-counters or face delays on the phone while retail customers are served. Secondly, we think that tradesmen should be able to apply a margin to materials. We understand that this is very hard, particularly in these days of the internet, but just because its hard, doesn't mean we shouldn't help as best we can. Not selling retail at all is the best way that we can protect trade margins.

We don't presume customers will think anything. We just tell them the price, transparently and openly.

your business model is a double edged sword which limits your own bargaining power because of your limited customer base.

You are quite right that our business model is a double edged sword, but that is because we are open about our pricing. This makes it very easy for our competitors to price match, or just undercut us - something which they do routinely, particularly down here in the South East, where we have a strong trade-counter presence.

We know that it happens, and there is nothing we can do about it, so we don't let it worry us.

Wooolsy can sell me one cheap because for everyone they sell me cheap - they probably sell 5 or more at higher prices to enable true trade discounts based on spend.

This is spot on. And thats fine for the one in six people who negotiate those rates. But what about the 5 people who don't? Lets not kid ourselves they will all be retail - outside of bathrooms, retail is less than 10% of the UK plumbing materials market. The answer is that they make up for your cheap rate by charging 8 quid for a washing machine tee to unsuspecting tradesmen!

I'm absolutely sure you are right - that if you worked hard enough at it, you could negotiate better prices than ours on very many things. But you would have to spend quite a lot of time both negotiating, then checking your invoices, and probably shopping at multiple suppliers. To get a fair comparison, you have to consider the time you spend doing that as part of the cost of materials.

Anyway, as I said at the beginning - it would be a funny old world if we all saw things the same way.

If we ever open a branch up in Newcastle, I'll buy you a pint, and you can tell me how to run it! ;)

Oooh betty buy me a pint lol.
We all are businessmen as well as workers.
I may not be head of a multi million pound company - but what i do know is that it takes a stitch in time to negotiate a price - only probably seconds longer than a usual call to place an order, of which when i do its by the door ready for me to collect.

I look forward to the day - can i tell you a story or two [emoji12]

And the 5 people who dont get it or cant get discount are usually joe public - to which the end produce arrives 100% of the time !

Blimey all this over a missed cheap boiler deal on bargain day?! All seems a bit sour grapes...

Haha sour grapes - nope lol
Cant deny i tried my best to get a cheap vogue - who wouldnt.

But ask Ray - my private conversations regarding wanting discount for larger orders far precedes that fire sale -

And true to his word he is steadfast with his policies which while dont suit my way of business - I wholly respect..

So theres that theory outa the window APP - [emoji1]

Haha sour grapes - nope lol
Cant deny i tried my best to get a cheap vogue - who wouldnt.

But ask Ray - my private conversations regarding wanting discount for larger orders far precedes that fire sale -

And true to his word he is steadfast with his policies which while dont suit my way of business - I wholly respect..

So theres that theory outa the window APP - [emoji1]

If you say so Phillip...:smug:

I would also like to add that i am also a previous customer of williams and for me it is in effect a mail order company (being up newcastle on tyne) of which I have found the service 1st class and friendly in every regard.
And i am positive i will deal again when the need arises and the goods are right for me and my business !!!

I only use two merchants, days of chasing a £5 saving on a boiler are gone for me. I value good service and being able to call up and ask for a delivery time and it actually arriving on time. I stopped using one merchants after two promised "first drops" of the day on the delivery lorry turned up at 12pm and 1pm. Both times it was the start of a big install and all materials were being delivered which resulted with me and a subby being limited on what work we could do. So it cost me money. Williams are now my first choice of merchant, as I trust my local branch to follow through on what they say.

I only use two merchants, days of chasing a £5 saving on a boiler are gone for me. I value good service and being able to call up and ask for a delivery time and it actually arriving on time. I stopped using one merchants after two promised "first drops" of the day on the delivery lorry turned up at 12pm and 1pm. Both times it was the start of a big install and all materials were being delivered which resulted with me and a subby being limited on what work we could do. So it cost me money. Williams are now my first choice of merchant, as I trust my local branch to follow through on what they say.

If it was only £5 I would go straight away but it's more like £60+vat otherwise I would just leave them like a shot and tell them to go eff themselves.

My problem with Williams is getting it delivered, on larger jobs it's not a problem as I can get it delivered to site but when I am on smaller jobs I lose half a day. Although saying that aspray had changed the driver and the last bloke turned up on site whilst I was still at home dropping the kids off at the pool at 7:40!!!

I got a crate of stella from my last delivery from Rays mob , don't even get a tea cosy from plumb centre.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Plumb centre robbing sods! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock