Search the forum,

Discuss choice from the experienced for oil fired 'heat only' boiler ? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

I don't work now due to being ancient. I looked at a 'Range cooker' fired on kero. It had a slow leak that turned into a bad leak in a month!
It had a welded fabricated boiler. I've seen such heat exchangers leak within 7 years from new. No wonder the Potterton heating production manager said to me long ago when I complained about a stupid fault on one of their little gas boilers with sections of cast iron sealed with 'O' rings that squeezed out because the recesses had been machined with no attention paid to retention of the rings. (I had to make stainless interference fit tubes to retain the rings as the sections were pulled together).
The Potterton chap was a 'nice' , but even so was prepared to knock me by saying, what boiler have you got then? I said a BOA !!!! He smartly replied - now you're talking about a BOILER!
At one time when the heatslaves and their similar fabricated steel boilers became popular due to the cost I suspect, was when we took notice that cast iron sectional boilers beat all the welded boilers, hands down for longevity it was apparent that although the cast sectional boilers cost more initially they were more of what was I would say an investment.

Might it be the same today re condensing boilers? I never though that I myself would ever buy a postage stamp boiler but I did end up buying a dumped Gloworm HXi that cost me £5.50. Ferroli would not sell me a propane conversion kit because they said they had hassle from fitters that got it wrong when using their kits. I said we converted many Town Gas appliances to Nat gas long ago in my teens without any issues. That was most probably because we had the very best tuition from those who knew exactly what they were doing and so after a proud and not least technical upbringing passed that expertise onto us lot!

I won't say the name but boilers with aluminium HX seemed about as good as the fabricated steel ones. Stainless seemed to be not a bad choice for Hx's hence my choice of the postage stamp Gloworm with it's stainless heat exchanger. It's been running in my caravan 6 years now without us having to spend a penny on it and another plus was the Gas valve was changes in two minutes to burn Propane just by a slotted screw adjustment as per the technical instructions. A combustion test followed to show the efficiency was correct.
The only grouse is that with all these newfangled fuel saving burners the electronics seem to be well over the top re their complexity. If any engineer is not conversant with a meter then he must quickly learn to be electrically competent with one!

I shudder to think what this farmer will do with his newfangled condensing oil boiler when and if he buys one because he prefers to operate his heating system with a light switch
instead of a programmer! The range he bought 26 years ago has done well before it leaked but I think that's terrible regarding it as an investment. He might well choose to pay an arm and a leg for a boiler who's name begins with 'G', that is green because it looks right in Wales and after all isn't green what everybody is doing these days?
His brother tells me they fit them outside 'these days you know! It came to mind that I was taught as a young man to look for an unused coal house that would house a pressure jet oil boiler and then it's name would be 'boiler house'. I may well be wrong when I say, I would prefer a boiler house because you cannot hang your washing out above an external boiler. I would also ask are these external boilers the right choice where it rains most of the time? Will the farmer have an umbrella ready for the heating chap who has to sort a fault out on that external boiler when it P.....es with rain in the dark to boot? Choice of boiler is of the utmost importance so please do say what you think......... There must be many of you out there who I would wager, would not dream of buying a green boiler fitted in the elements?

Hounsfield.

So 50 characters and 5 words now.

We had a serious look at Hounsfield's well made appear to have good back up.
But! Very small range nothing above 30kw? no boiler house models? and I realise it's a decision they have made no combi's.
Worked out we could only use them for about 20% of oil changes we do.
We really have no problems with external boilers (always put them on a plinth) . Certainly hadn't problems with case letting water in and we do work into peak district.
So yes we fit Grant's better than 2 a week . Just checked we have done 3 warranty jobs for Grant this year one oil pump one frost stat and a pump valve!

We had a serious look at Hounsfield's well made appear to have good back up.
But! Very small range nothing above 30kw? no boiler house models? and I realise it's a decision they have made no combi's.
Worked out we could only use them for about 20% of oil changes we do.
We really have no problems with external boilers (always put them on a plinth) . Certainly hadn't problems with case letting water in and we do work into peak district.
So yes we fit Grant's better than 2 a week . Just checked we have done 3 warranty jobs for Grant this year one oil pump one frost stat and a pump valve!
Thanks for that...... I believe the Grant's are fabricated heat exchanger same as the old Worcesters. I have only fitted one modern oil fired boiler of that make and was very disappointed to see all the heat went down through about 4mm gap low down on the steel welded heat exchanger. Any mud in that area causes localised boiling hence banging. The so called tech department said there were circulation issues causing that problem. Not so said I it The system had a brand new 25 /55/ grundfoss fitted and the rads at the far end of the big house werr belting hot whereas before there were several rads luke warm.
I have fitted three De Dietrichs and was impressed by them not least with the hinged door to quickly examine the burner head. Ideal boiler for a boiler for a coal house and long lasting..... but why do they call them commercial boilers when they are under 400th btu's?

There's nothing wrong with external boilers providing they're installed correctly. As above Hounsfield are very good boilers with a good reliable and clean burning Elco burner.
Another boiler to consider is the EOGB Sapphire boiler. I don't believe they do an external model and the boilers will be available at the end of this month or beginning of December so my friend in their technical department tells me. It's a fully modulating boiler with a 6 to 1 turn down ratio, not as good as say a Viessmann gas boiler admittedly but the first of its kind for the oil domestic market. They have a full stainless steel heat exchanger, meaning you do not have to worry about low return temperatures and back end rott in the primary hex like you would in other oil boilers. They are fully opentherm, using room sensors, flow temperature sensor and measuring ambient air temperature they will keep the boiler running at required output and maximising efficiency. If one really wanted to you could design the system at lower temperatures, MWT 40° plus and again due to stainless steel hex you don't have to worry. The controls are quite complicated yes, which is why EOGB require installers to understand a free one day installation and commissioning course. These boilers are also fully HVO ready, when placing the order just inform them it's going to run on HVO and they will make the adjustments at the factory. Having said that any modern oil boiler will run on HVO with only a few adjustments made to the burner.

Reply to choice from the experienced for oil fired 'heat only' boiler ? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock