Discuss Overflow Pipe Insulation - Does it need it? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

wild nomad

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone knew weather or not an overflow/warning pipe connected to the CWSC and F&E tank in the loft needed to be insulated? Can't find anything in building regs or WRAS. I could be missing something though.

Thanks in advance :)

Shouldn't be!!!! Always insulate . What would u prefer £5 of insulation or a header overflowing due to plug of ice. "All pipe work must be provided protection from effects of weather" or similar I believe

None needed.
Thinking about it logically - why would it

When it's frozen and the heating on full tilt boils over and comes through celing or fov packs up! Over flow never fitted correctly or clipped. Howmany times have u cut out old tanks and the over flow full of water from when the FOV malfunctioned 4 years ago.

If its installed right its empty all its life.
If its utilised and water overflowing correctly then fault would be identified and corrected and it would return to its empty state with nothing to freeze.

A loft would need to be a hell of a temp b4 an overflow freezes up internally , its just at the exit point of brickwork you need to worry about freezing in its not feesible to stick a 20mm piece of insulation on it , on saying that theres no need to insulate internally but thats not saying you cant you can if it eleviates any worry then fill your boots , like ermi said there are occassions where theyve been put in with wrong gradients but if you spot that then simply fix,

If its installed right its empty all its life.
If its utilised and water overflowing correctly then fault would be identified and corrected and it would return to its empty state with nothing to freeze.

Wait till you've seen a few messes !

Was it not the case of too small bore pipe used ( overflow state occured and filled faster than it could drain off.) With other restrictions.

Just been flipping in mine with over flow and warning pipes for larger tanks. No mention of lagging.
As said above wont do any harm if u must.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Overflow Pipe Insulation - Does it need it? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi I recently did some pipe insulating in my loft. The only two I didn't do were the vent pipes. Not sure if that is the right term for them...
Replies
Views
Hi, I wonder if you could help me. The overflow pipe drips intermittently from the large cold water storage tank in the loft. Not the small F and...
Replies
Views
Hi - I'm hoping someone can help with some advice. Ahead of some renovation work, we had a 50 year old old floor standing boiler in the utility...
Replies
Views
Hi, I've got a leak coming from the loft into a bedroom which I think is caused by water overflow from feed and expansion cistern (see attached...
Replies
Views
Hi, Non-professional / knowledgeable person here. I'm a Brit in Romania who volunteers for a charity building an old peoples home for needy old...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock