Search the forum,

Discuss Overflowing Feeder Tank - Advice Needed in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi - I'm hoping someone can help with some advice.

Ahead of some renovation work, we had a 50 year old old floor standing boiler in the utility room removed and a new Worcester Bosch Greenstar 24Ri wall mounted in the garage. Aside from being old, the original boiler worked perfectly. A full assessment of the house and what we wanted doing was conducted some weeks prior to the work commencing.

The install started badly on day one when the engineer connected the condenser pipe (I think that's what it's called - it carries water anyway) to an air extraction pipe used by the electricity-powered extractor fan in the downstairs cloakroom, and got worse from there. To cut a very, very long story short, ever since the new boiler was installed, whenever the heating or hot water switch off, the feeder tank in the loft overflows and hot water spews onto the patio for about 2 minutes.

BG have been back multiple times to try and fix this, and every time they leave, the situation is worse than it was prior to them arriving. They have suggested two possible resolutions. The first, which they themselves discounted on the grounds of disruption and cost, is to re-pipe the house. The second is to convert the system to a closed system. I've said no to both. Lifting floors and running new pipes is unacceptable and converting to a closed system to bypass the feeder tank feels like a fudge. I'm no expert but it seems to me that hot water filling the feeder tank when the system switches off means it's pumping the wrong way and that's what needs fixing. Removing the feeder tank doesn't address that, does it? Surely it's just moving the problem elsewhere? Plus I've also read that a closed system can result in leaking radiators and pinholes appearing in pipes, especially if they're old (it's a 1971 house with pipes buried in screed flooring downstairs).

BG are now telling me I either need to accept the system is converted or my complaint will be closed and they will expect full and final settlement of the outstanding money, which I've refused to pay until the system works as expected.

Should I accept the recommendation of a converting to a closed system or do I refuse and escalate to CDRL?

Thanks in advance for any and all replies,
R.

There is a 3rd option for B.G and that would be to subcontract the issue to a local independant heating engineer to either survey and identify the probelm or fix the problem.
I don't suppose they bothered to survey the existing system and highlight any existing design issues before they quoted.
I think the same issue would be there if any of the national, next day fast fix boiler swop companies had done the work.

If you do end up accepting that it be converted to a sealed system then it could be with the proviso that B.G cover any future leaking pipework and Rads.

Is the newboiler a heat only boiler with a external circulating pump?, if so can you post the make/model and a photo of its LEDs while running or its mode/settings of the pump and where located, is it installed on (from) the boiler flow.
Also your vent and cold feed arrangement.
Was the system power flushed or/and chemically cleaned before the new boiler installation.

Reply to Overflowing Feeder Tank - Advice Needed in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I have a problem with my hot water header tank getting warm water into it from the bottom of the header tank (not the hooked overflow/expansion pipe. Hence the header tank then reaches the overflow level and the overflow trickles out. I have changed the ball valve washers thinking it was...
Replies
Views
Hi, We moved into a new property yesterday and are a little baffled by the heating/water tank situation. The previous owners unhelpfully left any kind of instructions/manual and therefore trying to figure out ourselves. We have what looks like a boiler/water tank system (coming from a standard...
Replies
Views
I have flushed a CH system removed each Rad and removed any residue of black sludge filled the system up and treated with inhibitor. However after 2 days the water in the Overhead tank is gone red. The Ground floor rads are piping hot and the upstairs are Luke warm bleed the rads still no joy...
Replies
Views
Hi, I need some urgent advice. I've Just come home after going out for evening, to discover hallway floor and kitchen floor covered in water. On further inspection I discovered that water was coming from boiler cupboard. On looking in boiler cupboard I found boiler has started leaking water...
Replies
Views
G
I've just bought a 3-floor house with a gas boiler on the ground floor and hot water tank on the middle floor. When I switch on the hot water at the timer panel, it works but it also heats up all the radiators above ground floor. I have to close them individually to stop this. The rads aren't...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock