Discuss Old rad only getting warm on one side, whats the problem? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, we moved into a new apartment in the summer and now it's cold and the heating is on I've noticed that one of the rads is only getting hot on one side as shown in the photos.

Does anyone have any ideas what the problem could be and what the solution is? Thanks in advance!

IMG_1410.JPG

Screenshot 2017-12-02 09.53.22.png

IMG_1411.JPG

IMG_1413.JPG

What type of boiler?
Make and Model Please?
It could be a case of opening one of the valves a bit but we need to know what type of system it is.

Waters lazy, takes shortest route. That rads probably always been like that. Open the valves fully.

Agree with the above or there's a blockage in the 3rd fin

Thanks for your feedback.

The boiler is a Baxi Novanox 24/24F - (see added pic below)

The valve (on the top of the rad) is fully open.

I’ve heard the rad could need ‘de-sludging’, is this possible without fully removing the rad?

On a side note, from what I understand it’s not going to be air as this would cause the rad to be cold at the top and not on the side - but how do I bleed this type of rad? Do I undo the brass nut slightly at the valve ( as seen in the pic) to release the air?

Thanks in advance, much appreciated

A24D0EEB-5951-4AF2-A171-AFC88B60D96C.jpeg

Have you tried opening the bottom valve 1/2 a turn more ?

On a side note, from what I understand it’s not going to be air as this would cause the rad to be cold at the top and not on the side - but how do I bleed this type of rad? Do I undo the brass nut slightly at the valve ( as seen in the pic) to release the air
I have found that the air only settles at the top if both valves are at the bottom. Yours are both on one side. Is there a vent point on the top left hand side of the radiator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Old rad only getting warm on one side, whats the problem? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi - I'm a reasonably experienced DIY plumber but just can't work out why the last new rad I've installed is cold - would really appreciate your...
Replies
Views
About 5 year ago, I had a new central heating system (radiators) installed to replace my old warm air underfloor system. The warm air side of the...
Replies
Views
D
Hi. Turned my heating on for the 1st time today, i bled every radiator as haven't done it since last winter. upstairs worked fine but an hour...
Replies
Views
Hi All, In Dec 2023 I had my annual boiler service and asked the plumber to change 2 radiator valves as the radiator in the toilet downstairs was...
Replies
Views
Hoping somebody can help, So, in a nutshell… Standard 90s Westbury home – condensing boiler, pump, wall thermostat, etc etc... Normal, common or...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock