Discuss OK for waste to run uphill a short distance? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
And what sort of muppet wouldn't even attempt to align the tils on the two adjacent walls?? Or remove the towel rail?? Unbelievable.

Yep that's good flexible tile adhesive, what did he say about the other stuff ?

Yep that's good flexible tile adhesive, what did he say about the other stuff ?

He's going to take a look at the wastes on Mon and figure out how we can redo them, but was in total agreement about uphill run becoming a trap for toothpaste, oils, hair etc. He was also a bit shocked to hear about how the waste had been run through the joists, and has suggested adding some more noggins to spread the load. However, he said that we might be ok, partly because building regs have to be overly cautious and also because our house was built in the 1960s and probably a lot less flimsy than some new builds.

OK, quick update. I popped down to Screwfix this morning and bought a pry bar and have spent the last couple of hours nervously cutting away small sections of the OSB around the shower tray with a multi-tool to allow me to get the pry bar under it. I also had to chip away the plaster where it came right down to the tray. Then I went round the tray and gently applied pressure at various points. It was quite nerve-wracking but the good news is I managed to get the tray up in one piece! (Before anyone jumps down my throat, I explained in an earlier post why I decided to do this myself rather than leave it to the new plumber).

The pry bar caused the edge of the tray to chip in a few places, but hopefully the tiles will hide these.

As you can see from the attached photos, our cowboy "plumber" used a few blobs of silicone, so the tray wasn't bedded down on anything! He also cut out a massive hole for the waste, so the tray was completely unsupported over that area.

I'm now planning to take up that section of flooring and put down a new piece of marine ply or OSB, clean all the silicone off the tray and let the new plumbers install it properly.

Any tips for getting the silicone off the base of the tray? Presumably it doesn't matter if there is some residue on the tray, as the sand & cement (or tile adhesive) will level things out?

IMG_0092.JPG

IMG_0093.JPG

IMG_0095.JPG

IMG_0097.JPG

OK, quick update. I popped down to Screwfix this morning and bought a pry bar and have spent the last couple of hours nervously cutting away small sections of the OSB around the shower tray with a multi-tool to allow me to get the pry bar under it. I also had to chip away the plaster where it came right down to the tray. Then I went round the tray and gently applied pressure at various points. It was quite nerve-wracking but the good news is I managed to get the tray up in one piece! (Before anyone jumps down my throat, I explained in an earlier post why I decided to do this myself rather than leave it to the new plumber).

The pry bar caused the edge of the tray to chip in a few places, but hopefully the tiles will hide these.

As you can see from the attached photos, our cowboy "plumber" used a few blobs of silicone, so the tray wasn't bedded down on anything! He also cut out a massive hole for the waste, so the tray was completely unsupported over that area.

I'm now planning to take up that section of flooring and put down a new piece of marine ply or OSB, clean all the silicone off the tray and let the new plumbers install it properly.

Any tips for getting the silicone off the base of the tray? Presumably it doesn't matter if there is some residue on the tray, as the sand & cement (or tile adhesive) will level things out?

View attachment 30923

View attachment 30924

View attachment 30925

View attachment 30926
Great job mate
What a clown , didnt even figure of six the silicone ,
The tiles and silicone finishing seal will cover them chips around the tray ,
All in all id say your good to go , bit of ply and a nice neatish hole for the waste ,
Id def spend a tenner on some ct1 or sticks like , for running round the underside of the waste to tray seal , it also helps it stop moving (depending on the waste finish) if people stand on the waste when showering , if you know what i mean ,.
Well worth doing , you will sleep easy knowing its all done correctly ,

Multi tool and an old blade to get the spots off

How did it lift once you got underneath it ? Doesn't look like it stuck

How did it lift once you got underneath it ? Doesn't look like it stuck

I sort of gently prised it up a few millimetres at a few points around the tray, then gradually built up the courage to apply a little more pressure. Eventually, on one attempt, I heard the sound of some of the silicone slowly tearing away from the flooring, so I went round the tray trying to repeat this at various points.

I also went along the two straight edges with a multitool to cut through the bead of silicone holding it to the wall as well as I could.

As the tray came up a few more millimetres I placed some magazines below the tray at several points to hold it up. This meant I could get the pry bar a little further under the tray to stop it slipping and chipping the edge of the tray.

When I was able to lift the tray a couple of centimetres, it started to hit the plaster that was overhanging the straight edges of the tray, so I used the pry bar on its side between the wall and the side of the tray to gently pull it away from the wall. This helped break the silicone holding the tray to the wall, and probably also helped with the few remaining blobs on the floor which were still holding on tight.

So, the boss of the new plumbing firm I've gone with came round this morning to take a look at things. (Tiling has now been postponed to give them time to clear up the mess created by the first plumber). He wasn't happy about sink/bath/basin all going into one waste and has recommended running 3 new wastes into the soil pipe. These will have to dropped down to just below the ceiling in the lounge and be boxed in, as drilling even more holes through joists is definitely not an option.

He has also recommended cutting out the shower pipes to allow for copper elbows to come out of the wall, as currently the bit of copper coming out of the wall goes straight into a plastic pipe and the two pipes aren't even level!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to OK for waste to run uphill a short distance? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Just started gound work on self build bungalow and wondering best way to do below ground soil pipes. For toilet I was going to go straight down...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock