Discuss OK for waste to run uphill a short distance? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm making a call here.

The OP has done the work himself.

Claims not to have much knowledge on plumbing - but seems to have all the right answers. - Even cocky ones.

Claims the plumber who did the work said - 'Please trust me'
Then goes on to ask whether or not to sack the plumber and claims a tie between the outcome of 2 posts.

Then states that the drain can be repaired by removing plaster ceiling on the floor below - that makes economic sense.
15 minutes to repair at this stage or 25+ hours of work to access, replace and make good ceiling below.

I doubt any plumber would fit a tee like that and run a drain from a basin with reverse fall - for the sake of saving the cost of 1 bend.

This thread has had hairs on it since the 1st post.

Anyone agree?

Yes, that helps a lot - thanks!

Such a simple, elegant solution and one which easily allows the fall on the basin waste to be independent of the fall on the shower waste. (Now I've seen the suggested fix, I'm amazed why he didn't simply do this in the first place?!). However, this will only work if the pipe going across the joists doesn't start so high up as to rule out getting enough fall from the basin... if it does, then I'm not sure what we'll do.

So, in this set-up, would it be right to use the same tee that he already used (i.e. one that would direct the flow from the shower down to the right)?

Sorry I didn't get back sooner but Shaun's drawing shows where the extra 6 (ish) inches of pipe and the elbow will go as I'm sure you've worked out now.

I'm making a call here.

The OP has done the work himself.

Claims not to have much knowledge on plumbing - but seems to have all the right answers. - Even cocky ones.

Claims the plumber who did the work said - 'Please trust me'
Then goes on to ask whether or not to sack the plumber and claims a tie between the outcome of 2 posts.

Then states that the drain can be repaired by removing plaster ceiling on the floor below - that makes economic sense.
15 minutes to repair at this stage or 25+ hours of work to access, replace and make good ceiling below.

I doubt any plumber would fit a tee like that and run a drain from a basin with reverse fall - for the sake of saving the cost of 1 bend.

This thread has had hairs on it since the 1st post.

Anyone agree?

Hmm... very interesting accusation! I can assure you I did not do the work and everything I've said is true including what the plumber said to me, but it makes no difference to me whether you believe me or not.

I would however be interested to know what "cocky answers" you are referring to?

You may doubt whether a plumber would fit a tee like that, but those are the facts.

Regarding fixing from below through the ceiling, I may not have explained the full story, but the ceiling below already has a strip taken out of it and will be patched up and skimmed in the next few weeks, so not as drastic as you make out. Also, since the shower tray has already been stuck down, access from above is already restricted.

Sorry I didn't get back sooner but Shaun's drawing shows where the extra 6 (ish) inches of pipe and the elbow will go as I'm sure you've worked out now.

Thanks for getting back to me. I actually took a screenshot of Shaun's drawing and showed it to our plumber and he agreed to implement the changes (although didn't feel it was strictly necessary). We now have a good fall on the first small section of pipe crossing the joist from the basin waste, and the tee and elbow at the shower end have been sorted, so things are looking much better! Unfortunately, the section between the two elbows still has a very slight uphill incline, but I'm hoping I can reduce this by propping the pipe up at one end with a piece of wood or something.

Incidentally, the plumber chose to implement these fixes from below, so that idea clearly wasn't as mad as it sounded. As I said, the pipes were already partly visible from below and I just made a bigger opening.

Sorry, but I wouldn't have that guy do any more work and I would personally have all his work removed. He must be a novice to plumbing.
I have just looked again at the original photo and everything on view is wrong.
Way below a minimum acceptable standard of work.

Last edited:
Way below a minimum acceptable standard of work.

Bar the fact it is way below minimum acceptable standard of work, it doesn't and never will comply with plumbing regulations.

I would love to see photo's of the amendments from below.

And even after the rectifications, the 'plumber' still has an uphill flow from the basin to the tee.
Basin wastes require a minimum fall of 25mm per metre.
I wonder what the reasoning behind that is - maybe they haven't updated the minimum fall requirements on drains for more than a hundred years or so.

I can't believe the OP is still defending his plumber.

I wish all my customers were as easy going as the OP.
Seems to be a very decent and forgiving person.
I doubt if I would get away with that work for many of my customers.

I wish all my customers were as easy going as the OP.

There's always two sides to every story. The missing side to this one is what was agreed between the 'plumber' and the OP and at what price.

Most of the professionals who advise on this forum work at the high-end of the market, enjoy their trade and want to keep learning and help others learn. They are typically properly trained and qualified, charge what the job needs to cost to make a reasonable living and won't cut corners.

But don't forget that at the other end of the market there are people who are pretty much working for food and are being ruthlessly exploited by those willing to employ them.

Here's a photo from below. It's not easy to see from this photo where there is a good fall and where there isn't, but this is somewhat of an improvement.

IMG_0061.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to OK for waste to run uphill a short distance? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Just started gound work on self build bungalow and wondering best way to do below ground soil pipes. For toilet I was going to go straight down...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back