Search the forum,

Discuss Oil Feed Safety Valve in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bongolier

Hi,

Just been told that our oil feed safety valve should legally be fitted externally. This valve is in the utility room as the regulations must have changed since the house was built (1997).

Since we moved here in 2007, we have had the boiler serviced and had many deliveries of oil and not a single person has mentioned this to us.

What / where should the fitting be?

Is there an internal equivalent (I am sure we are not the only people in this situation)?

Any good professional advice appreciated...

The phial should be above the burner in the boiler and the other end should be on the (external) oil line where it comes into the building. It should be checked at every service.

It is an OFTEC technician's duty to point this out to you but it is up to you if you want to have it changed. A technician cannot make you do this. This is the householder's responsibility.

In case you don't know, the reason one is fitted is that if the burner/boiler catches fire, the phial heats up, the gas expands in the tube and pushes the button on the other end to isolate the oil so the oil is not feeding the fire. Quite how many lives this has saved I don't know. If the fire brigade came along they'd just rip the oil line away instead of fiddling around with a small button for a while.

There are loads of regulations in the construction world and rules is rules (never to be broken, of course.)

To repeat, an OFTEC technician must abide by the rules and advise accordingly. The advice is in the first paragraph of my response.

Or at first point of entry if no oil line visible externally. Like DKIA has said it's upto the person doing the service to advise you, and probably document the fact, but it's down to you if you do it or not. If you decide not to then you might as well cancel any house insurance you have cos you are wasting money. Loss adjusters went to a customers house who had a chip pan fire in the kitchen, noticed the oil tank and went straight to the boiler, no fire valve no payout. Just like anything these days just looking for an excuse to get out of paying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Oil Feed Safety Valve in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, bit of a noob question but would someone be able to help me to understand the pipes coming off our boiler. It's a Grant oil combi boiler, and where the pipes come in is in a room at the front of the house. I am about to box them in but I really wanted to understand what the various pipes...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I have a wallstar combi oil fired boiler. We got low on oil a couple of weeks ago but didn't run out. Since we've had our oil delivered the boiler won't fire up when hot taps are turned on so no hot water. The boiler fires up periodically to heat water but not when we turn on taps. I...
Replies
Views
Hi All, We have finally decided after a bit of a persuasion to have installed a utility room in our garage that currently houses our oil boiler. Initially we thought the boiler may stay in place but after discussions with the builder we would have to move the boiler to replace the floor and...
Replies
Views
A
My oil boiler is 2009 vintage. Just been serviced. Had a new tank fitted by approved fitter. I notice that the bottom of the tank is roughly on the level of the boiler feed pipe. Then I notice in the Grant instal manual for a single pipe feed the tank should be 300mm min above the boiler feed...
Replies
Views
With nothing to do today I thought I would do a spring clean on my Grant Vortex 26-36KW model so turned off power, removed door, and then removed baffles gave them a scrub , hoovered out chamber BUT got a phone call while I was messing. After phone call noticed smell of kerosene, looked on...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock