Discuss Noisy Heating System in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mischief

Hi

I have a combi system with a Worcester Bosch boiler which is 12 years old. Lately it has become noisy with banging or popping and I understand this could be either air bubbles or scale (I live in a hard water area) hitting the heat exchanger. It is now waking me up in a morning when the heating comes on and I want to do something about it.

Last winter I had the system flushed twice as some radiators didn't work and an inhibitor put in.

When the noise occurs it happens for about 7 minutes then there is no noise for about 10 minutes, and I imagine the bubbles or scale going round the system until it comes up against the heat exchanger again. I may be wrong about this but that's how it seems.

I would like to know what the best way of stopping the noises would be. New heat exchanger, new boiler, flushing the system again? I don't know what to do.

Can someone help please. Thank you.

Get a plumber to descale or replace the heat exchanger. Powerflushing the whole system will not concentrate enough to clean it.

Get a plumber to descale or replace the heat exchanger. Powerflushing the whole system will not concentrate enough to clean it.

Hi Thanks for the advice. I will contact my boiler engineer tomorrow and see what he says.

Hi midlands based, then you in a hard water area.
I think you should install a water softener?

Hi say it again in english.
Midlands fit a water softener,:tounge_smile:

That could help in future but I would say it now needs descaling and a good quality inhibitor used.

The noises you describe could be happening for a few reasons: the circulation pump may not be working and it could be the boiler just overheating and then switching off for several minutes. Check the pump by changing the speed setting to high so you can hear the louder noise and vibration. If the pump is working OK then it could be a blockage or airlock. Try adding Sentinel 200 which can be left in the system indefinitely to help de-scale the boiler. Isolate and drain enough water from a radiator which is working best and add the Sentinel 200, then bleed and fully open both valves on the radiator so the fluid will circulate through the system. The other thing to check is that the system is being topped up OK. Not sure about your combi-boiler but I had a problem very similar to yours which turned out to be a total blockage where the header tank supply connected to the main heating pipe (T connection) which meant no water was being added over a long period of time. You can check this by draining a radiator with the ballcock in the header tank kept elevated. If the level in the header tank doesn't drop then the pipe just above the T junction is probably blocked. I had to drain the whole system and cut the pipe just above the T junction and found it totally blocked. I removed all the deposit with a flat headed screwdriver until it dropped into the main pile (22mm) and used a length of tubing to suck out as much of the crud as possible. I then used compression joints to replace the lower section of the pipe and then refilled the whole system and re-bled all the rads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Noisy Heating System in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

P
  • Question
Boiler is SIRIUS THREE FS 70 Potterton commercial. Situation: We are small building contractors and my labourers managed to damage the radiator...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock