Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss No tape or jointing compound on shower pump!!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

monks

I've just bought a shower pump and it states - Do not use jointing compound or tape. Not only that I can't use flux on solder joints! What's left? Anyone know?

You need to flush out any flux residues before connecting the pump.

does it not have washers in the female end of the conncetion on the hoses? thats probaly why it states no compound or thread ?

does it not have washers in the female end of the conncetion on the hoses? thats probaly why it states no compound or thread ?

From what the instructions say. No jointing compounds or tape when fitting the pump. I need to attach a surrey flange to the tank and as the flexi hoses are 15mm screw threads I'm at a loss. Maybe I should wrap old rags round the joints and squeeze them out every few hours. The problem is they don't suggest anything to use!

Why not phone the manufacturers tech department and ask them to tell you what to do?

well the surrey flange will require tape or compound, i would say tape! and check the threaded end of the connections from the shower pump, normally the end that connects to pump has a build in rubber washer so that is just done up hand tight and the other end will be either compression or pushfit! what make is the pump?

I would but I wanted to fit it tomorrow and just read the instructions, sio now I'm stuffed until Monday. I think I'll use common sense and just use boss white and make sure nothing gets into the pipes. Crazy or what?

i always use tape on threaded conections into cylinders!! they love to leak

Common sense is a good way to go, it leads to experience and then expertise.
Good luck 2moro.

fs! The no tape or jointing compounds refers to the actual connections to the pump. Use whatever you like on the rest.
The uk is turning into if it ain't written it can't be done. I wonder how we made it to the 21st century.

fs! The no tape or jointing compounds refers to the actual connections to the pump. Use whatever you like on the rest.
The uk is turning into if it ain't written it can't be done. I wonder how we made it to the 21st century.
problem is those with experience are now in a minority the rest just out of college still need to follow every rule to the letter

they are called compression fittings and do not need sealants according to the manufacturers instructions!

I install them all day long without sealant and they never leak - if you do them up right!

Words fail me.

Try this then!

The other day I went to a leak under a kitchen sink.
Every hot & cold joint was copper to pushfit.
When I suggested to the custard that this was a rubbish diy job she told me that every flat on the development was done the same when they were newly built.

maybe the "plumbers" didn't have their hot ticket so couldn't solder and had lost their adjustables so couldn't use compression fittings

Try this then!

The other day I went to a leak under a kitchen sink.
Every hot & cold joint was copper to pushfit.
When I suggested to the custard that this was a rubbish diy job she told me that every flat on the development was done the same when they were newly built.

Unbelievable! How do these people get work?
Surely they were checked before handing over?
Again
Words fail me

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?g5avbr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to No tape or jointing compound on shower pump!!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock