Discuss New zone wiring in the Plumbing Zone area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

chaosuk

Hi one and all,

we've extended our existing CH plumbing to add a new zone to the system and have placed a Boss BZV222 2 port valve in the line to control the supply.

Problem we have is we no knowledge of how to wire in the new stat and new zone valve to allow control.

We currently have a Danfos FP715 2 channel (CH and HW) controller and appreciate that this will need to be changed, but I'd like some advice on the best route forward and some guidance on the electrics if possible.

I've attached below a photo of the wiring box the single cable from the controller goes to as well as a general over view of the plumbing, the new zone valve is the silver one at the bottom in case it's relevant.

Thanks in advance

Iain

IMG_5041.jpgIMG_5040.jpg

Hi Iain, Do you require independant timed heating for your new zone? If so you will need a Horstmann Channelplus H3XL, if you want to use the 715 to control both zones using the room stat to control temp in new zone, I would need to know the make and model of stat.

There are lots of ways this can be done. My preferred way is to use a wireless programmable room stat for the new zone. This leaves your existing controls as they are. The grey and orange words from your new valve just link to the grey and orange wires in your connection box. The brown wire of the valve, will link to the wireless reciever which will be positioned in the cylinder cupboard . You will have to wire the reciever with permanent live, neutral and earth from the connection box. Hope that helps. Danfoss do a nice wireless thermostat.

Hi Iain, Do you require independant timed heating for your new zone? If so you will need a Horstmann Channelplus H3XL, if you want to use the 715 to control both zones using the room stat to control temp in new zone, I would need to know the make and model of stat.

Hi Colin and thanks for the feedback,

I'd prefer separate timers as one zone controls bedrooms etc whereas the other controls a conservatory that houses a pond (swimming pool sized) and where as the bedroom area only needs to be on at certain times, the conservatory could do with being on constantly to ensure the temp never drops below say 12 degrees simply in order to control condensation.

Stat currently purchased is a simple dial based one from screwfix but more than happy yo get something else if required, just need to have some control over the 2 areas independently.

There are lots of ways this can be done. My preferred way is to use a wireless programmable room stat for the new zone. This leaves your existing controls as they are. The grey and orange words from your new valve just link to the grey and orange wires in your connection box. The brown wire of the valve, will link to the wireless reciever which will be positioned in the cylinder cupboard . You will have to wire the reciever with permanent live, neutral and earth from the connection box. Hope that helps. Danfoss do a nice wireless thermostat.

Thanks Ralph, am i right in thinking if i did it this way i would also need another digital stat to control the existing zone and then, by leaving the control panel set to constant, control the times via the programmable stats?

Does this, other than not having to buy a new control unit, have any benefits or negatives over the previously mentioned solution?

I'd prefer separate timers as one zone controls bedrooms etc whereas the other controls a conservatory that houses a pond
Presumably the house is not zoned at the moment so etc really means the existing house.

If so, you could retain the Danfoss to control the existing HW and CH and install a wireless programmable stat to control the conservatory. This can be wired straight into the junction box and would work completely independently of the Danfoss.

Only problem with that is that the conservatory really needs to be on all the time, where as the bedroom and office area doesn't, so considering what you've advised, whilst I'd have temp control over the conservatory, it would only be during the times the existing central heating is on, would that be correct?

If so, could I then get round that by adding an additional programmable stat in place of the existing dial type to control the time in that area?

Only problem with that is that the conservatory really needs to be on all the time, where as the bedroom and office area doesn't, so considering what you've advised, whilst I'd have temp control over the conservatory, it would only be during the times the existing central heating is on, would that be correct?
Looking at the photo, the pipework for the two heating zones are independent of each other so, if wired correctly, a (programmable) stat for the conservatory would be completely independent of programmer and stat controlling the bedroom/office area.

It also appears that your conservatory will be held at the same temperature 24/7. If so, you only need a thermostat in it. Is this correct? Assuming it is, a Honeywell DT92E wireless stat would be suitable. (It has an off position if required).

If you do need time control in the conservator, then just substitute a CM921 or CM927 for the DT92E.

The wiring, whichever Honeywell (programmable) stat you choose, would be as follows:

New Valve

Orange to 6
Grey to 7
Brown to 5
Blue to common neutral in vertical connection Block
Link 5 to 1

Wireless Stat Relay

L to 11
N to common neutral in vertical block
Link L to A
B to 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to New zone wiring in the Plumbing Zone area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a CH circuit on a 2 way zone valve. It’s a long circuit with 15 rads on it but rather than shutting down the last 5 rads in the circuit...
Replies
Views
Afternoon Fellas If anyone has time to help with this snag it'd be much appreciated. We have a wet-floor system controlled by John Guest UH3 and...
Replies
Views
A bit of clarification - I have extended a 3 bedroom semi detached and at the time central heating pipes were going in I told the plumber could I...
Replies
Views
Is there any advice on using Honeywell Evohome with 2 zone heating. Honeywell support are pretty useless and give conflicting advice. They...
Replies
Views
We have an all Vaillant setup - an EcoTEC Plus 637 system boiler plus wired VR720 and VR92 SensoCOMFORT controller, driving two CH zones plus DHW...
Replies
Views
Back