Discuss New member - Hello and Help! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BradClark

Hi all,

I am persuing a career in plumbing and weighing up my options at present.

I've read contrasting opinions on "fast track" courses which can at times be slightly offputting... The fact is that at 27 and with a young family to support I simply could not afford to take 2-4 years out to study at college.

I'm looking into a number of course providers in the North of England (preferably Yorkshire/Debyshire), does anyone recommend one over the others or another that I have not yet come across ??
-PPL Training
-OLCI
-MET-UK
-Trade4Train

My aim is to get intouch with local plumbers first and get some experience (willing to work for free). Once I have an agreement to work with someone I can then take the plunge more comfortably and fork out the £000's to take the 6129 C&G full time for 8weeks.. Once I successfully complete this I hope to continue working and acheive the 6089 level 2 over the next 6-12 months or so.

If I'm fortunate enough to find a welcoming plumber, complete these courses and achieve my nvq 2.....

1. What work can I take on myself? (what am I qualified to do?)

2. Is it advisable to continue working under the wing of a Plumber to get further experience (whilst aiming for level 3)?
-If so what kind of money could I expect (now level 2 qualified)

OR

Would it be better to work alone at this stage? What kind of money could one expect to earn being only part quaified?

3. Also, would working alone make hitting level 3 more difficult (not having that support there)?

Any help, advice or feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,
Brad

Welcome to Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice | Plumbers Forums | A forum for plumbers advice in the UK!

Welcome to UKPlumbersForums.co.uk BradClark. Thanks for introducing yourself.

Hi BradClark,hope you enjoy the forum,think if you do a search you will find the answers to many of the questions you ask
It is hard at the moment and a lot of commitment is required

Thanks Dan and Puddle,

Appreciate I have a long way to go and a hell of a lot to learn but I'm certainly not shy of hard work and dedication.

Was hoping for some concise answers and advice towards my specific goals... I've read quite a few posts already and answers and opinions seem to vary quite a bit (naturally)..

I got a feeling that there's an element of resentment towards new starters in the industry from what I've read so far, are statistics that illustrate such a huge national shortage of plumbers incorrect? Are "newbies" in fact saturating the market?

Thanks for the feedback though I will continue to read!

Regards,
Brad

Hi Brad, welcome to the forums.
Have finished NVQ 2 and am now doing level 3, vented cert. etc. I share your work ethic and am looking forward (with some trepidation) to being my own boss or someones willing employee. Whatever you decide, good luck.
Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to New member - Hello and Help! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock