Discuss New central heating in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

pollarj

Hi Everyone,

I came across this forum in my research for a new boiler.

I recently moved into a house that was built in 1999(5 bed detached with multiple bathrooms).It has a baxi mega flo that was installed at build time so is getting around to replacement. it is heating only, I am not sure why it was done this way as I understand it can do hot water as well. The water is heated by electric overnight. Its a megaflow mains pressure system. The main issue with it is that you end up running out of hot water towards the end of the day and having to use the boost to heat it up. I would like to switch all to gas and from reading people comments I think I need to get a system boiler.

Now I am about to get people round to quote but I don't know what brands to consider. I had Worcester combi in my last house and it was great so could go with that brand again but is it worth considering ideal which seem to have improved. Also Intergas looks interesting and Glo worm have decent guarantees. I don't want to make a nightmare choice. I am sure there is no easy answer and the sensible choice may be to just go worcester.

Also any recommendations in Northamptonshire would be appreciated as I am new to the area.

Thanks everyone

Welcome to the forum. You need a few gas safe registered engineers to come and take a look and quote they have to be G3 (unvented) as well. I personally love ideal, but also fit Worcester when asked. Ask them to quote for both or go with what they prefer and fit all the time.
Put a post on [DLMURL="http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/im-looking-plumber-gas-engineer/"]I'm looking for a Plumber or Gas Engineer[/DLMURL]

Sometimes its not all about the brand, a pour installer can make a bad job of a worcester install and it will be riddled with problems where as a good installer can do a decent job of a cheaper brand and it'll run fine for years on end, Just something to consider when making your choice

Thanks. I was looking on Worcester website and they have a list of installers but I guess that just means they have been on their training course. Really just a matter of finding some recommendations

Might be cheaper just to fit a larger megaflo if you are running out of hot water by the end of the day. What size is your current one?

Not sure of the size but certainly I could fit a larger tank.

I was thinking though that the Baxi boiler would be getting towards the end of its life. It was installed when the house was built in 1999. Would it be a reasonable approach to think its due for replacement? I could do a straight replacement and stick with electric for my how water and install a larger tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to New central heating in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old, fairly big detached house (i.e. fairly draughty, but not too bad by any means) with a fairly new...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
Can central heating / gas engineer expert help me with below issue. During winter time only, I have been having issue with low pressure or...
Replies
Views
I have a home with an oil boiler in a garage turned into a flat, heating both flat and main house, running c plan with two pumps, two motorised...
Replies
Views
Hi, Over the past few months, my wife and I have noticed a constant pulsing sound throughout the house which is particularly noisy at night (this...
Replies
Views
Hi, We moved into a new property yesterday and are a little baffled by the heating/water tank situation. The previous owners unhelpfully left any...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock