Discuss more advice needed please: what problems can a faulty 3way valve cause? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

pauljones

im still trying to find out what can a faulty 3 way valve cause to happen?
and also a split coil?
I may have both problems at once and need to decide what i can fix and whether to call someone else out,

You will probably have 2 tanks in the loft, a big one and a little one, the water level in one tank will be higher than the water level in the other tank, this might be because ones on a stand or the bigger tank has a higher water level becuse its well, erm, bigger. the tank with the lower water level will overflow if you have a split coil, people will swap the ball valve several times because they think that the overflowing tank is created by the ball valve passing.

You will probably have 2 tanks in the loft, a big one and a little one, the water level in one tank will be higher than the water level in the other tank, this might be because ones on a stand or the bigger tank has a higher water level becuse its well, erm, bigger. the tank with the lower water level will overflow if you have a split coil, people will swap the ball valve several times because they think that the overflowing tank is created by the ball valve passing.

and a duff motorized valve will mean no hot water or heating depending on y or s plan

i have hot water going out to the hot water tank and c.h. ,is there anything other than a dodgy 3way valve that can cause this?

i have hot water going out to the hot water tank and c.h. ,is there anything other than a dodgy 3way valve that can cause this?

we need a wee bit more info, your "fault" is describing what should happen when you ask for heating and hot water so it isnt a fault, so i assume you mean you are not asking for both ehrn you get both to call it a fault, if you only want one and get both the valve could be stuck in the middle and not closing off the side you dont want, the wiring could have been altered by someone who hasnt a scooby what they are doing, or if you have a room stat and cylinder stat one of them could be faulty and sending a signal to power the zone valve when not required

Bite the bullet and get somebody to look at it. It'll save you a world of hurt.

could try this if coils burst,

run the heating untill hot hot,
go around banging the bottom of all rads to dislodge muck. (depends on newness of system and boiler filter).
you could also buy a few bottles of black food colouring and tip into expansion tank.?
then run a hot bath full of water. checking by filling a glass all the time helps identification.
if the water is tinged/black, then coil is split and entering cylinder.

also you could get someone in to disconnect cylinder coil connections and pressure test the coil.

then again, system could be pumping over?.

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry, i was not clear enough,...when the hot water is switched on from the controller downstairs there is hot water going to both sides of the 3way which may be stuck as you say but when the motor unit is removed the bit that moves can be turned quite easily by hand, we do have 2 stats and the only way the wiring could have been tampered with was when last week when i was ill and away from home and my mrs called a plumber out who did nothing but make things worse, (but thats a previous post). ive lived in the house for 3 yrs and to my knowledge the wiring is fine....my mrs has had the house for 10 yrs .
There have been a few problems starting with a leek from the cylinder when the rubber seal had perished where the 3way joins the cylinder. around the same time as that the hot water tank in the loft started overflowing and the cold one developed a slow drip, then the hot and cold tanks developed some cross contamination as the brown coloured scum from the hot tank had now appeared in the cold tank ??? does any of that help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to more advice needed please: what problems can a faulty 3way valve cause? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock