Discuss Magnet on the oil line - Worcester Bosch 'Toaster'.. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bunker

Much to my despair, I have a WB Toaster in my house - it was fitted just before we bought the house. I HATE these boilers with a vengeance as its SOO hard to get the baffles out - once you have finally reached them (TOP TIP - replace roller access door chocolate screws with 20mm M6 stainless cap heads). It usually takes a hammer from inside the firebox and a lot of swearing to get them to drop.
I fitted one of those oil line magnets to my oil line, a mate of mine swears by them but I was sceptical. I havn't serviced by boiler for nearly 2 years on purpose (its ok, I test my analyser on it once a month). DREADING getting the toast out of the rack, I just tackled it and what dya know? They ALL just dropped out, hardly a mark on them!!! Now, the flue analysis has been spot on for 2 years but Im still surprised.
I guess I ought to take the magnet off and try in 2 years time but frankly I dont want to :)

Anyone else tried these magnets?

Anyone else hate the Toasters?

Any of you SERVICE engineers actually fit them? Its my impression that only Gas men fit WB, or those who dont have to return to them..

thats why i carry an angle grinder, to slim them down bebore putting then back together, sorry never tried these magnets to make a comment on them

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL, perhaps you havnt worked on a Toaster before...sadly you cant slim those bits of toast down - wish you could!

This is one of mine as it came out!

IMG_1223.jpg

I like WB oil boilers, like installing them and like working on them. However their customer service has become appaling.

theres loads of edge there to trim down, I hate all wb oil or gas, to complicated and clever for their own god. Talking baffle probs, nothing like hooking out those rayburn baffles with the fishing rods provided, def take lots off the edges once they have pulled out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like WB oil boilers, like installing them and like working on them
Then I admire you mate. I think they are the worst designed boilers out there. In most cases you have to undo the condensate nut with pump pliers in order to get to the baffle release hatch and those screws are made of monkey metal (hence my note on replacing them with cap heads)..THEN you have to smash the bottoms of the toast up and down before you can even get the rollers out, then try and empty the toaster. After all that you have to dismantle a large plastic box to get to the secondary HE. At least if youre really cunning you can pour loads of water down that to flush the trap out. Start mixing that up with being a combi or a system and your in trouble.
BRING BACK THE DANESMOOR!!

I have a 2.5 year old WB that Im looking after. It was never commissioned and hadnt been serviced for 2 years. I cannot get the toast out whatever I do so Im just trying to keep the airways clear by DualXing every 3 months. The customer is aware that this boiler will not last much longer. Compare that to a Camray 5 that Ive just been to that hasnt been serviced EVER in 6 years (!!!) and was still running and perfectly serviceable....give me a Firebird or Grant anyday (I long for a Firebird but with Grant turbulates).... :)

theres loads of edge there to trim down
Sadly its not the edges thats the problem, its the thickness and those bumps are thin and hollow. Rayburn baffles - oh dont get me started, got one to do next month that will involve taking the top off to get them out as they are stuck fast!

Sadly its not the edges thats the problem, its the thickness and those bumps are thin and hollow. Rayburn baffles - oh dont get me started, got one to do next month that will involve taking the top off to get them out as they are stuck fast!

you need a specialy shaped 4lb club hammer then, sadly I've not been able to buy one yet that fits the bill!! Do you find the custard just doent believe you when you all black and angry and been there 2 hours and yet to get the second baffle out!!!!!!!!

Do you find the custard just doent believe you when you all black and angry and been there 2 hours and yet to get the second baffle out!!!!!!!!
Its all about managing expectations - I tell em before hand that it can take ages, they usually say "same for the last bloke - why he never came back is a mystery to me....." :)

Its all about managing expectations - I tell em before hand that it can take ages, they usually say "same for the last bloke - why he never came back is a mystery to me....." :)

still having warned them you can charge them, all my gas custards think you can service their boiler in 30 mins, like BG used to do!:tongue3:

Any WB boilers I refer the cusatomer to WB on their service contract had too many akward jobs with them which should have been straightforward. I think Grants are the easiest to service. All the boilers come with their own issues.

Agree they all have there issues, just rather the issue wasn't something you had to deal with every time they needed servicing!!

One thing that bugs me about the WB combis is the fiddly cap screws that hold the burners in where there isn't enough room to get an allen key in let alone your fingers and you can only turn them 60 degrees at a time.

They put a lever valve in for the oil supply but it's positioned so the lever is inaccessible unless you remove the expansion vessel, and if you do manage to move the valve, it then starts leaking from the seals.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Magnet on the oil line - Worcester Bosch 'Toaster'.. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Just had a new Worcester Bosch Greenstar 30Ri fitted with the magnetic filter. When the system is running the boiler is so quiet but there is a...
Replies
Views
Help Please We have a 2005 Worcester Bosch Oil Heatslave 26/32 that is fitted with the optional timer. Recently we have a problem. To get either...
Replies
Views
I have a Worcester Bosch Oil Heatslave 26/32 which is about 17 years old. It has developed a fault that has come in stages so it might be more...
Replies
Views
Hi, would welcome some advice/opinions please. I currently have a Remeha Avanta plus 28c (combi) which is 11 years old, still working in a...
Replies
Views
Hi All, My home is 2 storey - split into 2no zones. 14 rads downstairs and 7 upstairs. Open vent system standard boiler. Hot water is immersion...
Replies
Views
Back