Discuss Loud bang in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

ma701ss

Hi, we keep hearing every so often, perhaps once a day, a loud bang/crack in our front bedroom. I can only put it down to the pipes, which do seem to make a smaller, quieter clicking sound regularly when the heating is on (I put this down to the pipes contracting/expanding and rubbing on the joists). It usually is noticeable at night and is so loud that it has woken us up before. It's like someone hitting a block of wood with a hammer.

no we don't have mice so it can't be that. The boiler is in the bathroom on other side of house.

elephants in your attic??

or could the pipes be so loose that when your pump turns on it jogs the pipework, faulty pilot light allowing gas build up before ignition, more of a whoosh than a bang but it does get rid of all extraneous nasal/ear hair when it happens and your close by?!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Only joking about the mice ...!

Just had a worrying thought though and ironically it is mice related ... have they chewed through an electrical cable and it's arcing against the pipes or something?

Answer is probably not but if you can't find or thing of anything obvious it could be worth an investigation.

yes got the joke about the mice! I'm not that daft to not realise that they probably wouldn't get served at the firework shop (der!).

Not sure if it's when the boiler comes on, as can't really hear when it's going on and off.

If the cables were arcing against the pipes then surely the RCD would trip out?

I'm off to bed! Of course it would - at least one hopes so. Silly suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Loud bang in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Desperate for some help! Be a life saver of someone can help as suffer from a high intolerance to noise. Moved into new house 1940s (copper...
Replies
Views
Hi. We’ve had rather a lot of noise issues with our radiators since we had a new boiler installed. Our radiators other than 2 more recent ones...
Replies
Views
M
Hi, I have recently moved into a new property where the heating had recently been installed, I have renovated the house so the boiler has been...
Replies
Views
J
U
Hi, I have recently moved into a new property where the heating had recently been installed, I have renovated the house so the boiler has been...
Replies
Views
Dotty
D
K
Hi, I am looking for advice from the skilled and knowledgeable as it seems very hard to pin down a plumber to look at all the issues I have...
Replies
Views
Dotty
D
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock