Search the forum,

Discuss loft space cylinder and joist loading in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, looking to fit an unvented cylinder in a bungalow loftspace. &nbsp;Anybody know if there's a calculator online or has calculation formula for working out if the roof joists are up to handling the proposed 180 litre cylinder. &nbsp;Last thing I want is the cylinder dropping through on customers lap. &nbsp;Can't handle the hassle;-).<br><br>Jim

Don't mean to appear thick (but I am). I take it you mean put the cylinder next to a wall then support the weight with some kind of planks under the tank across the roof joists?

No, I mean the bungalow will have supporting walls so in the roof space position the cylinder over this but still span the joists to spread the weight.

If in doubt you will have to get someone in, btw 180l = 180kg plus the dry weight of the cylinder and ancilliery pipework. 200kg+

as ecowarm suggested try and position over a load bearing wall. Tamz has a great guide on how to build a tank stand showing how to spread the loading over the roof timbers if i am remembering correctly, maybe useful to you and others.

im sure he will point you towards it if you ask nice like. :)

Best one I ever saw was one a builder built for me in a converted byre. Two 10' concrete lintels across two load bearing block walls with 1" ply secured on top. Talk about overkill, but the tanks were going nowhere.

180 litres = 180 kilo plus the weight of the tank. About the same weight as 2 men. It don't take a lot of supporting but use your head and spread it a bit preferably over a wall.

Agree with the other lads about siting near a supporting wall but if not possible build your own platform. The ceiling joists centres should be approx 400 - 600 mm apart, your platform done in 18mm ply (not chipboard as Ive seen in the past, if any leaks destroys board quickly), the bigger the platform the safer it is because it spreads load over the ceiling joists. Underneath platform screw lengths of 4" x 2" centres of 300mm, the flatform rails/feet should be perpindicular to the ceiling joists (have seen them paraleel doh)

Hope this is resonably clear explanation, no good on computers so cant do drawing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to loft space cylinder and joist loading in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Fitted unvented hotwater cylinder building control looking forms signed it off job was in england i am qualified northern ireland send out a form to fill in what do u need to sign off in england as building control said they dont give out forms like they do in northern ireland
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my toilet a good few times nothing is going to the sewer so don't know is there a blockage or what way it works many thanks and advice would be grateful
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock