Discuss level 2 nvq heating exam for anybody due to sit it in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

on31ll

justa few questions that where on the exam recently if they are any help

60 questions - 120 mins...a few I can think of...

What is an open flue?
What is a sealed flue?
Notching - what's the min distance if the hole is 22 mm?
What type of oil does a boiler use?
What are the two types of way oil is burnt?
What does a TRV look like, a rad key, bleed key, stats etc?
Clipping distances of 28 mm copper?
What does a 1 pipe system look like, 2 pipe, fully pumped and semi gravity?
What stage come after visual on soundness?
How long is the pressure text done for?
What are the times for 'metallic' pipes?
What pressure is it raised to?
How do you isolate the water to a combi boiler?
How does a boiler get water in a single feed system which has a CWS?
If a thread is worn what should u do?
Symbols - for a pump and a valve.
In the heating compliance guide, what regs are quoted?
What is background heating?
What is selective heating?
TMV - what are they?
What max temp comes out of them?
If a cylinder is running too hot, what could be the reason?
How far is the warning pipe from the water level in an F&E?
What size pipe is not used in domestic heating [from 8,10,15 and 22]?
Why are rads put at 150mm from the floor?
What does a picture of a single rad with convector look like?
Same but a double?
How high is the stat off the floor?
Which room wouldn't have a TRV?
What size is micro bore pipes?
How does a consumer select when and how long the heating is on for?
Which season is the best to change your boiler?
If turning the boiler off, who should you tell?
How should it be isolated?
Where do you put a drain valve on a system?
Where do you put an air release?
What is an air separater used for?
A picture with a pump position - which shows the positive one (VIP)?
One rad is cold, what could be the reason?
What stops unwanted circulation of heat?
A by pass valve stops what?
What valves are in a filling loop?
What would making the clips on plastics pipes stop?
What happens when plastic pipes are heating?

If you refer to your book and your notes which you would have noted down over the 2 years you will have the awnsers.

im not after answers. its there for anybody that comes on the forum looking for help with the exam. ive put it up because i will loose that most prob so its easier to search on here and point them to this thread !

justa few questions that where on the exam recently if they are any help

60 questions - 120 mins...a few I can think of...

What is an open flue? One that isn't closed.
What is a sealed flue? One that isn't open
Notching - what's the min distance if the hole is 22 mm? from ware ?
What type of oil does a boiler use? Heating oil or WD40 if it squeaks
What are the two types of way oil is burnt? Match or lighter ?
What does a TRV look like, a rad key, bleed key, stats etc? Anything you like in a dark room.
Clipping distances of 28 mm copper? More than 22mm
What does a 1 pipe system look like, 2 pipe, fully pumped and semi gravity? Look at you picture book.
What stage come after visual on soundness? Cleaning
How long is the pressure text done for? I don't know I try to relax when texting but if it's a long one it can be up to 1 hour.
What are the times for 'metallic' pipes? Well, you have to look at the metal time table for that.
What pressure is it raised to? 1.5 times my blood pressure answering all these questions
How do you isolate the water to a combi boiler? shut a valve
How does a boiler get water in a single feed system which has a CWS? No idea how does it.
If a thread is worn what should u do? Contact a Moderator (bod) & ask them if it can be moved to a new forum.
Symbols - for a pump and a valve.
In the heating compliance guide, what regs are quoted? Look in the heating compliance guide you can down load it.
What is background heating? Where just the back of the property gets warm (you have to install foreground heating for all the house to be heated.)
What is selective heating? After 12 years, if the boiler is in Kent it gets to move to a special school, if not, it's just a comprehensive.
TMV - what are they? Five down from a TRV
What max temp comes out of them? What do you want it set to?
If a cylinder is running too hot, what could be the reason? Its been going for to long & it's insulated.
How far is the warning pipe from the water level in an F&E? How much water in the heating system & how big is the F&E ?
What size pipe is not used in domestic heating [from 8,10,15 and 22]? Not sure think I have seen all
Why are rads put at 150mm from the floor? Because the manufacturers stated that is how high they should be.
What does a picture of a single rad with convector look like? A single rad with convector.
Same but a double? Two single rads with convectors stuck together.
How high is the stat off the floor? Ask the person who fixed it (I looked at one last night which was on top of a door frame)
Which room wouldn't have a TRV? The one with the room stat
What size is micro bore pipes?
How does a consumer select when and how long the heating is on for?
Which season is the best to change your boiler? It does depend in different parts of the country boilers come into season at different times.
If turning the boiler off, who should you tell? Any one who will listen
How should it be isolated? By turning it off
Where do you put a drain valve on a system? On the highest part
Where do you put an air release? On the lowest part
What is an air separater used for? Adding air to the heating water
A picture with a pump position - which shows the positive one (VIP)? No idea
One rad is cold, what could be the reason? it is turned off ?
What stops unwanted circulation of heat? Removing the water from the system.
A by pass valve stops what? By's passing
What valves are in a filling loop? Check your notes on this one
What would making the clips on plastics pipes stop? Not pushing them any more ?
What happens when plastic pipes are heating? They get hot
I have answered all of them & I think they are all right but if I was you I would check my book/notes, & maybe pay a bit more attention at work (as you are on an NVQ)
P.S Hope C&G don't mine you posting all their questions.

Last edited:
very good you've just done what i could'nt be arsed to do,those questions are :freak:

The questions are multiple choice when you sit the exam ! And they are in note form and if the dont make sense you could go look into the subject so u know that you understand that topic ! Its been put here for a bit of a resource just what type of content is in the exam !

Chris watkins - maybe pay a bit more attention at work (as you are on an NVQ

what has that got to do with anything ?

The questions are multiple choice when you sit the exam ! And they are in note form and if the dont make sense you could go look into the subject so u know that you understand that topic ! Its been put here for a bit of a resource just what type of content is in the exam !

Chris watkins - maybe pay a bit more attention at work (as you are on an NVQ

what has that got to do with anything ?
Well, I should take more time to read what you put, sorry on31ll, perhaps you could make it a bit clearer what such a long list of questions is on here for.
I don't think I would be posting these just in case the Guilds were to find & started to ask how you had access to all them on-line questions.

Last edited:
What makes me laugh is the exams are open book now, for god sake if he cant get it right then we will see him on cowboy builders lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to level 2 nvq heating exam for anybody due to sit it in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

P
  • Question
Boiler is SIRIUS THREE FS 70 Potterton commercial. Situation: We are small building contractors and my labourers managed to damage the radiator...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock