Search the forum,

Discuss Learning to wire........ in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riley

Super Moderator
S. Mod
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Guys I REALLY need to improve my heating controls fault finding. Can anyone recommend courses, literature or similar to aid my feeble understanding.

Cheers as ever

matt

I did the Honeywell one years ago, and I think danfoss do an on-line training programme , but I have not seen it.
I am sure there will be a few more suggestions shortly.

Honeywell do an app for the iphone/ipad that has a fault finding section on there for all the different plans.
The course is excellent ,I did it 5 years ago.

I have don't the Honeywell course and I agree, the content was very good. Just not enough in terms of fault finding. I would be fairly confident in wiring in a new set up but it's when you have a system in place, wiring is usually a mess and I want to isolate the faulty wire or component(s) I struggle to prove that things are working as they should be and talking to each other

If you can understand the sequence in which the components work and can wire from scratch then you should be able to fault find. It is just a case of chasing voltages seeing what isn't switching when it should of what is switching when it shouldn't.

It's really as simple as that??? (Generally speaking) I've done boiler fault finding and learned all about resistances etc and was really just assuming there would be similar processes with the various heating system components

Cheers all. A lot clearer just from that

It's really as simple as that??? (Generally speaking) I've done boiler fault finding and learned all about resistances etc and was really just assuming there would be similar processes with the various heating system components

It is. Very easy to do, you just need the confidence. If you can wire a full system and understand how it works, then you will have no trouble with fault finding.

512px-S-Plan-Wiring.gif

It is. Very easy to do, you just need the confidence. If you can wire a full system and understand how it works, then you will have no trouble with fault finding.

What he said^^

Until you come across one like I did last week, all wired in singles,all the same colour, and all into choccy blocks. Had to "ring out" all the cables to see what was what :-(

Draw the wiring diagrams out from memory.

you'll cry at first but when you can do it off the top of your head it will be second nature at work.

Cheers guys, some good advice there

Draw the wiring diagrams out from memory. you'll cry at first but when you can do it off the top of your head it will be second nature at work.
Don't draw it to the std honeywell drawing as very few are wired like that. Most new builds of the past 20 30 years or so will have been wired by sparks who will have a pile of 3 cores run here there and everywhere and stuck in a bit of strip. Follow the flashing lines on the link i gave above and learn what switches what and when..

Riley, When you did the Honeywell course, did they give you the sheets that you filled in yourself, to show s and y plans?

Riley, When you did the Honeywell course, did they give you the sheets that you filled in yourself, to show s and y plans?
From memory no, got lots of handouts and a memory stick full of stuff

Pm me your email, and I will scan them over to you, this evening. Very basic , but VERY easy to fault find with them.

Don't draw it to the std honeywell drawing as very few are wired like that. Most new builds of the past 20 30 years or so will have been wired by sparks who will have a pile of 3 cores run here there and everywhere and stuck in a bit of strip. Follow the flashing lines on the link i gave above and learn what switches what and when..

But the principle od what goes where is still there.
I've only ever used my own wiring diagrams i made....
Minus the w plan.
i'll dig em out

build yourself board with used controls and practice, other than that honeywell is good :)
That's exactly what i did, just keep all the old bits you know still work and wire them all up, if it doesn't work least it doesn't matter as its not in someones house and got al the time in the world to find where you'v gone wrong. i got 2 wires crossed and kept blowing the board in my house...not to the amusement of my girlfriend who was watching telly, and it was dark, lol.

Got a picture of it on my flickr, just click on the link in my signiture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Learning to wire........ in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Can anyone recommend a decent multi meter, preferably under a 100 pounds. It's for checking boiler components so I don't need a top spec one ....just easy to use and reliable. The fluke 115 looks good but its above my budget. My current socket and see one was great but it's developed a fault.
Replies
Views
Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't rip me off? An office guy recommended me to apply for government rebates and get it installed through timetosave.com.au. How reliable is this...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hi all, this is probably a daft question but I need to run my cold feed from one side of my wall mounted boiler to the other. Running it beneath the boiler is difficult with lots of obstacles, is it okay if I run soldered copper over / across the top of the boiler? It'll be about 4" off the top...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock