Discuss Leaking stop valve in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sharedarchitect

I've replaced the lead mains water supply pipe to my property with in preparation for a new 32mm supply from Thames Water

The 32mm HDPE supply with brass stopcock within the curtilage of the house was supplied and fitted by my builder and has been inspected and approved by Thames Water

However, there is a leak which my builder says he cannot fix as this is caused by Thames Water insistence on a brass stopcock rather than a thermoplastic

Thames Water did indeed insits on brass - stating a British Standard BS1010 or European EN1213

Surely Brass to HDPE must be possible or Thames water wouldn't insist. Is it possible my builder is not using the right valve connections, appropriate washers or some such thing?

Alternatively are plastic stop cocks available to the above standards?

Would appreciate any advice

Cant see no reason why brass cant be used.It may just need nipping up with a spanner

Cant see no reason why brass cant be used.It may just need nipping up with a spanner

Thanks, they seem to have tried that but still leaking - do you think they need to take it off and re-fit with PTFE

The olives should easily cut into the plastic and quickly create a watertight seal, some ptfe may help but isn't needed on compression fittings. I'd undo the compressions and inspect them to see why it's passing. If it has brass olives I'd switch them for copper ones.

Ok thanks guys. I really appreciate your comments this gives me something to go back with and at least ask a few 'intelligent' questions.

John Guest thermoplastic valve is WRAS approved but not certified to BS2010 or EN1213 - so on that basis in theory Thames Water wont accept it. Which seems harsh / daft. I've dropped an e-mail to clarify them but it takes an age to get any thing back from these people

In themeantime I'll see if we can't get the existing brass fitting to work based on your comments

Cheers All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Leaking stop valve in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I cannot isolate my toilet water supply for a quick-fix, as the valve/tap is buried beneath tiling by whoever built the place. All other taps in...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Could someone please explain if this set up is normal and what changed: Stopcock under kitchen sink turns off cold water supply in...
Replies
Views
Hi All After having pooling water on my drive, I dug down around to find: Black pipe poly/plastic dug 450mm deep spraying water at mains...
Replies
Views
We have just moved in to a 1934 Semi- and I am getting round a few simple DIY tasks, including a couple of plumbing-part renewals such as modern...
Replies
Views
This issue arose about a year ago. Does anyone have an idea why I occasionally hear (about once every hour or longer) a hammer related noise...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock