Search the forum,

Discuss Leaking stop valve in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sharedarchitect

I've replaced the lead mains water supply pipe to my property with in preparation for a new 32mm supply from Thames Water

The 32mm HDPE supply with brass stopcock within the curtilage of the house was supplied and fitted by my builder and has been inspected and approved by Thames Water

However, there is a leak which my builder says he cannot fix as this is caused by Thames Water insistence on a brass stopcock rather than a thermoplastic

Thames Water did indeed insits on brass - stating a British Standard BS1010 or European EN1213

Surely Brass to HDPE must be possible or Thames water wouldn't insist. Is it possible my builder is not using the right valve connections, appropriate washers or some such thing?

Alternatively are plastic stop cocks available to the above standards?

Would appreciate any advice

Cant see no reason why brass cant be used.It may just need nipping up with a spanner

Cant see no reason why brass cant be used.It may just need nipping up with a spanner

Thanks, they seem to have tried that but still leaking - do you think they need to take it off and re-fit with PTFE

The olives should easily cut into the plastic and quickly create a watertight seal, some ptfe may help but isn't needed on compression fittings. I'd undo the compressions and inspect them to see why it's passing. If it has brass olives I'd switch them for copper ones.

Ok thanks guys. I really appreciate your comments this gives me something to go back with and at least ask a few 'intelligent' questions.

John Guest thermoplastic valve is WRAS approved but not certified to BS2010 or EN1213 - so on that basis in theory Thames Water wont accept it. Which seems harsh / daft. I've dropped an e-mail to clarify them but it takes an age to get any thing back from these people

In themeantime I'll see if we can't get the existing brass fitting to work based on your comments

Cheers All

A plumber would be a better person to fix it and fit the correct fittings than a builder imo

Is it normal to use HDPE up there!! it all MDPE round here, has the builder used the right stopcock!! don't know if there is much differance between HDPE and MDPE but it might!! needs an insert!

Whos betting on the builder using no insert and squeezing the guts outta the olive?

And when you finally do the olives squeezed a 22mm pipe down to 15.

It definately does need an insert. Also when you take it off check the seat inside where the olive sits/seals against. As these stopcocks are mass-produced I have occasionally had some with badly machined seats, i.e slag inclusions or whatever in the metal and so there is a mark across where the olive is supposed to seal. Obviously it will not, you have to replace the whole stopcock. If there is no insert in the poly pipe, you will need to cut off the olive and put the insert in first then use a new olive. You may have a problem in getting a new olive. I think BES does them 32mm, but 32mm is not that common 25mm is more normal size.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Leaking stop valve in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock