Discuss Kitchen Taps in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Resolute

Evening Folks,

After a bit of advice on Kitchen Taps tonight. I went out to a leaking tap the other day, water running from the underside of the tap - as if the tail hadn't been tightened enough. The problem I had was that I couldn't undo the big brass nut to get the tap off. The sink was a twin bowl (nothing fancy) but I couldn't get grips onto the nut and tap spanner was way too small.

I contemplated taking the sink out to get at it? Anyone got any other ideas?

Apologies in advance if I'm just being thick!

I don't think it'd be big enough. The thread was the same width as the tap body with tails disappearing up through the middle of the nut - similar size to what you'd see on the bottom of a toilet syphon.
Try a large box spanner with a screw driver through it as a lever. You'll have to undo the tap tails and slide the box key over them. Halfords would be your best bet to source one.

That monument one is the one I use for tightening taps on baths, sinks and wash basins. Use this key and fit top hat washers to the tap tails they never move. But you can buy bigger ones that's why I said go to Halfords.

Cheers guys. I don't think the 32mm would be big enough.

I got the call reassigned to another engineer (I'm sub contracting at the moment) but unfortunately I don't know who so unable to find out how they got around it.

I'd like to know though in case I come across one like it again.

I have just asked this in another thread, - why use top hat washers?

Top hat washers are the best for tightening taps securely so that they never spin.

I have just asked this in another thread, - why use top hat washers?

Not sure what you mean here? No top hat washer was used.

However on single basin or deck mixer then a top hat washer compresses easier and holds the taps steady better.

Not sure what you mean here? No top hat washer was used.

However on single basin or deck mixer then a top hat washer compresses easier and holds the taps steady better.
Sorry for any confusion! I was asking a question to System3s answer, suggesting top hat washers. I never liked them, but see both your & system3s point about them. I find the plastic ones crack & are unnecessary. Taps that often hadn't threads fully up to base wouldn't tighten fully on s.steel sinks when brass nuts used. That is where those washers took up space, but just a heavy washer, rubber or lead, usually did the job. To your problem about the large nut kitchen tap, I have been lucky so far, to get away with using small footprints to loosen & sometimes may have used my very good basin spanner that has a fine head on it.

Sorry for any confusion! I was asking a question to System3s answer, suggesting top hat washers. I never liked them, but see both your & system3s point about them. I find the plastic ones crack & are unnecessary. Taps that often hadn't threads fully up to base wouldn't tighten fully on s.steel sinks when brass nuts used. That is where those washers took up space, but just a heavy washer, rubber or lead, usually did the job. To your problem about the large nut kitchen tap, I have been lucky so far, to get away with using small footprints to loosen & sometimes may have used my very good basin spanner that has a fine head on it.

I did try a Stilson but couldn't get it on the nut - don't own any footprints but will remember it for the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Kitchen Taps in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Plumber had fitted a new mono kitchen tap. The hot water takes ages to get hot if at all. The on lever hadn’t much turn on it and it’s at full...
Replies
Views
Hi folks I need to fit a kitchen monobloc tap temporarily. A new sink unit will be going in soon so this will just be a stop gap. The current...
Replies
Views
    • Winner
Hi all, I joined today and am a newbie at plumbing DIY. Thought I'd share my experience replacing the stopcock under my sink. The old one looked...
Replies
Views
I’m looking to get some advice on how to remove a stubborn kitchen tap. The sink is ceramic and I’m very reluctant to take a grinder or any...
Replies
Views
Hi, I bought a Grohe kitchen tap to replace my existing one and have found that it comes with fixed flexi hoses that are 3/8" instead of the UK...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock