Search the forum,

Discuss Kitchen Taps in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Resolute

Evening Folks,

After a bit of advice on Kitchen Taps tonight. I went out to a leaking tap the other day, water running from the underside of the tap - as if the tail hadn't been tightened enough. The problem I had was that I couldn't undo the big brass nut to get the tap off. The sink was a twin bowl (nothing fancy) but I couldn't get grips onto the nut and tap spanner was way too small.

I contemplated taking the sink out to get at it? Anyone got any other ideas?

Apologies in advance if I'm just being thick!

I don't think it'd be big enough. The thread was the same width as the tap body with tails disappearing up through the middle of the nut - similar size to what you'd see on the bottom of a toilet syphon.
Try a large box spanner with a screw driver through it as a lever. You'll have to undo the tap tails and slide the box key over them. Halfords would be your best bet to source one.

That monument one is the one I use for tightening taps on baths, sinks and wash basins. Use this key and fit top hat washers to the tap tails they never move. But you can buy bigger ones that's why I said go to Halfords.

Cheers guys. I don't think the 32mm would be big enough.

I got the call reassigned to another engineer (I'm sub contracting at the moment) but unfortunately I don't know who so unable to find out how they got around it.

I'd like to know though in case I come across one like it again.

I have just asked this in another thread, - why use top hat washers?

Top hat washers are the best for tightening taps securely so that they never spin.

I have just asked this in another thread, - why use top hat washers?

Not sure what you mean here? No top hat washer was used.

However on single basin or deck mixer then a top hat washer compresses easier and holds the taps steady better.

Not sure what you mean here? No top hat washer was used.

However on single basin or deck mixer then a top hat washer compresses easier and holds the taps steady better.
Sorry for any confusion! I was asking a question to System3s answer, suggesting top hat washers. I never liked them, but see both your & system3s point about them. I find the plastic ones crack & are unnecessary. Taps that often hadn't threads fully up to base wouldn't tighten fully on s.steel sinks when brass nuts used. That is where those washers took up space, but just a heavy washer, rubber or lead, usually did the job. To your problem about the large nut kitchen tap, I have been lucky so far, to get away with using small footprints to loosen & sometimes may have used my very good basin spanner that has a fine head on it.

Sorry for any confusion! I was asking a question to System3s answer, suggesting top hat washers. I never liked them, but see both your & system3s point about them. I find the plastic ones crack & are unnecessary. Taps that often hadn't threads fully up to base wouldn't tighten fully on s.steel sinks when brass nuts used. That is where those washers took up space, but just a heavy washer, rubber or lead, usually did the job. To your problem about the large nut kitchen tap, I have been lucky so far, to get away with using small footprints to loosen & sometimes may have used my very good basin spanner that has a fine head on it.

I did try a Stilson but couldn't get it on the nut - don't own any footprints but will remember it for the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Kitchen Taps in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

This is going to sound stupid - but it is giving me problems. I have fitted new flexible tap hoses that each connects with a tap hose adaptor to give the recommended flat surface to connect to an isolator. All good except I cannot tighten the flexible hose hex nut without twisting the hose...
Replies
Views
Hello all, first time poster so if there is any additional information I can provide that may help, please let me know. Our kitchen mixer tap has been intermittently dripping from the hot tap, and the cold tap is squeaking when you turn it. Possibly two different issues, possibly related? The...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question. I have a leaking kitchen tap. I'm a bit confused on the part I need to get. On Screwfix I can see "Flomasta 1/2 inch BSP quarter turn ceramic tap glands" - are these the right parts? But I can also see 8x8mm 20-tooth spines, 9x9mm 20-Tooth Spines and others - which of these...
Replies
Views
My mother has been away on holiday for a few weeks and she has a kitchen mixer tap that has a very slow drip nothing significant - been like that for a couple of years. The mixer has a a long spout that can be rotated between sink and drain bowl. She left the house meticulously clean. I came to...
Replies
Views
Hi. Husband and I, both 85, have done our own plumbing all our 52 years married but are finding it harder now to get under sinks etc.!! Our current problem is a sixty year old supatap in kitchen sink. It has not needed attention for many years but is now dripping badly.We are unable to unscrew...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock