Search the forum,

Discuss Clear slime and black bacteria seeping out of kitchen mixer joints in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

My mother has been away on holiday for a few weeks and she has a kitchen mixer tap that has a very slow drip nothing significant - been like that for a couple of years. The mixer has a a long spout that can be rotated between sink and drain bowl. She left the house meticulously clean.

I came to check on the house a week ago and all was ok.. I returned a week later and found that the sink had marks around the side that showed it had totally full of a dried green and black bacteria filled liquid.

Around the base of the tap and around the plug hole was evidence of a thick clear "mucus" thick liquid and a white dried deposit leaking from all of the tap joints.. there is evidence of a black furry bacteria too.

I assume whatever came out filled the sink because the thick mucus -like liquid prevented whatever it was from draining quickly and hence filled the sink.
I also assume that whatever it was stopped flowing from the tap joints and the full sink then drained away slowly leaving behind the evidence of how it was on the sides of the sink.

Beneath the sink there is a branch of to an outside toilet and sink and a washing machine.
Running the taps in the outside toilet sink and flushing the toilet water runs clear.. upstairs bathroom it is all clear. combi boiler pressure normal and heats DHW no problems and water runs clear. Could it be from the washing machine that no issues with its water solenoid valve as it has has no leaks.

Even running the kitchen tap, the water runs clear!

I am totally stumped.
Has anyone seen anything like it?

Attachments

• IMG_20230918_164451.jpg
    IMG_20230918_164451.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20230918_164512.jpg
    IMG_20230918_164512.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20230918_164528.jpg
    IMG_20230918_164528.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20230918_164534.jpg
    IMG_20230918_164534.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20230918_164539.jpg
    IMG_20230918_164539.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 14
Needs a new tap it’s because the cartridge is leaking internally

Needs a new tap it’s because the cartridge is leaking internally
Thanks for the reply Shaun.
That disgusting green and black bacterial mould and clear slime are like something from a horror movie.
But it has happened spontaneously - filled the sink with that black and green slime and furry bacteria growth and then stopped just as quickly as if nothing ever happened - appears to be working back to normal. there was a lot of it as the entire basin sides are covered in it too.
It has never leaked before and since that incident is back to normal.

Reply to Clear slime and black bacteria seeping out of kitchen mixer joints in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock