Discuss Kitchen Sink Slow to Drain in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dalton2250

Hey everyone,

My wife and I moved into our house about a year and a half ago and the kitchen sink has always been quite slow to drain. We believe it's because the waste pipe dips to give a slight uphill for the exiting water. The drain hole is quite high up on the wall for some reason.

Anyway, I recently changed the pipe setup under the sink because I didn't need the washing machine connected to it anymore. The waste pipe now doesn't dip as much so my hope was that this would improve drain speed, but it's even slower! There are definitely no blockages because they're all brand new pipes (I did check everything under the sink anyway). Does anyone know what might be causing this?

For current setup, see pictures.

Thanks

Welcome to the forum Dalton, as the pictures aren`t showing I suggest lifting any manhole covers and having a look there first and I wouldn`t go mixing different Drain Unblockers because different chemicals cause explosions and nasty fumes when mixed.

in the first instance i would pour a full kettle of boiled water down the drain before using any chemicals

i had one where rthe two parts of the waste fitting were out of line and causing it to be slow look down the plug hole
other than that its blocked further down

Wasn`t there a post a few weeks back where the pipe was too long and too far down the U-bend therefore causing a restriction? Something like that.

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your replies.

So I took the waste pipe off this evening and sprayed the hose pipe down the external pipe to clear any blockages in there and I hear a sound like water filling something then the water started coming back at me! Does that mean there is a blockage in the external pipe?

The drain outside isn't clogged by the way.

I really want to post some pictures of the pipe setup under the sink but the stupid thing won't let me for some reason!

Sorry to say but yeah you`ve got a restriction in that pipe. Imagine the pipe to be a water slide all the way to the drain, but your water isn`t water sliding away is it because the pipe wont allow it too.

Try pushing a bit of that hose pipe down the pipe and see if you can move whatever is there.

That "Stupid thing" is protecting the forum from spam and nasty virus`s. Once you reach a number of posts it is no longer ativated and stops being a pain in the arse it`s something we all suffered.

Thanks for the advice. I will try to clear the external pipe as you said.

One more question if you don't mind?...as I mentioned in my OP, the waste pipe to the wall has a slight dip in it, causing the draining water to take a slightly uphill course. Can you think of how to remedy this? Is there a different trap I could use other than a P trap that may sit slightly higher up and therefore allow a downwards slope instead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Kitchen Sink Slow to Drain in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock