Search the forum,

Discuss Is it worth doing the 6129. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

charlie1

Hi everyone,

Since last Feb I have been trying to gain an apprenticeship to do the NVQ LV2, I had interviews at Balfour Beatty and Harrords but had no luck due to my age (22) and that they think I will not be able to take the cut in pay (apprenticeships normally pay about £10000 p.a)

Anyways it looks like I will have to go to college and do the night course (as I am employed) and gain the 6129 Tech Cert, my only worries are that this course may be a waste of time and I will still need the NVQ.

If I do get the 6129 will it still take me 2 years to complete the NVQ course or can you do it quicker as to my understanding the 1st year of the NVQ is studying towards the Tech Cert.

If it does take 2 years, it seems a waste of a time spending 2 years to do the tech cert first, I might aswell wait a year and try and get an apprenticeship for next sept

Any help is appreciated

Charlie

i never did any c&g's just did the nvq's instead.

Redsaw I would love to do the NVQ and not mess around for 2 years studying the C&G but I cannot find an apprenticeship. My only way to do an NVQ now is to get my C&G and then I will look far more appealing to an employer to take me on as an apprentice to do the NVQ.

???/ the nvq is a C&G's??
C&G are the awarding body not a type of certificate. the tec cert and the nvq are both issued by C&G (and EAL for some places)
the work you do in the tc and the nvq IS THE SAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Only the onsie stuff is added to an nvq

Charlie, your info is wrong mate, try to understnd the courses before making judgements, YOU DONT WASTE TIME, see my ealier post

Charlie, your info is wrong mate, try to understnd the courses before making judgements, YOU DONT WASTE TIME, see my ealier post

Thanks Fuzzy I must have been misinformed somewere.
So after doing the tc I will need to get some onsite work signed off and then I will gain an NVQ?
Is there any websites that state which types of work need to be signed off?

thats it mate yes. try the C&Gs website, you can download the actuasl on site document mate, reet off to work, let me know how you go on, laters

Charlie I know times are hard but try and ring up company's to do voulenteer work as an NVQ L2 your bound to get a fast response do the hard work for a year or 2 and it will pay off everything works when you do voulenteer work lol.

i never did any c&g's just did the nvq's instead.

red dont you have to do the tech cert to get the nvq ?

my apprenticeship - tech cert was part of the level 2 and 3. the portfolio completed the qualification.

Charlie I know times are hard but try and ring up company's to do voulenteer work as an NVQ L2 your bound to get a fast response do the hard work for a year or 2 and it will pay off everything works when you do voulenteer work lol.

Cheers for the advice Shazed but iv been trying that since Feb and didnt really get anywere, I literally rang through every company in the phone books, sent emails and even posted posters at plumbers merchants and shops.

Blimey!! You tryed every where.
Well all the BEST with your search Charlie Keep us updated if
you do get lucky.

Regards.

im doing my 6129 at college, its the only way you can get a nvq is to have 6129. its all changing next year

unfortunately theres many trying the same thing, hope it works out for you

im doing my 6129 at college, its the only way you can get a nvq is to have 6129. its all changing next year

I hear its changing but I have heard many different things. Whats the latest you have heard then?

thats right, most do the 6129 and then the nvq or do them concurrently. you can do a direct nvq, its only the same you just dont get a 6129 cert aswell as the nvq one

it is changing to a diploma, its more like the nvq only, therefore no chance of getting any plumb qual unless employed. they have a couple of months to tinker though, wonder if they will?

Doing it that way (only being employed to get diploma) will stop all the fast track courses wont it??

Surely the colleges must be telling people who are doing the 6129 this now? none of the colleges has uttered a word about this to me!

times are tough !!! i've said i'd work for free, i done me city and guilds level 2 and 3 and water regs at st helens tech took me 3 years straight after i left school and ive fitted about 5 bathrooms since i passed the courses, my first bathroom i was nervous wernt a 100% on what to do but thats how u learn, i was helped along the way by a joiner who had a bit of knowledge, you just need someone to give you a start but to many companies or self employed plumbers are reluctant as i've found out. i got a cscs card, first aid card, pasma part 1 access scaffold, tools, licence an transport. am 20 now i was advised to gain an apprenticeship while doing me tech cert but no-one was interested, i've still got the heap of letters i sent and the phone bills, the aim of this game now is if you no someone your in. good luck !

yes fuzzy, thats what i meant, i did not do any tech certs, just the nvqs.

never stepped inside a college though nor worked for an employer for 30 years..

yeh redsaw its possible to do a direct nvq now but its not easy so most choose to do the tec cert and then upgrade.
how long ago did you do the nvq? is it this version or one of the prior ones?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Is it worth doing the 6129. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock