Search the forum,

Discuss Incoming cold water main Isolation valve passing water when closed - replace? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mikehardy

Hi, I have noticed when the incoming main valve is fully closed it is still passing water possibly as much as 10% of normal flow. This valve is possibly 20 years old. Should I replace with what? The valve in question looks like an ordinary brass tap. Is this correct for mains isolation? if so replacing the tap washer will solve the problem? Hard water area.

Comments please,

Mike.

If your refering to the one under your sink, i'd just replace the tap.

Thanks hunterseye, Replace with the same type or a full bore ball valve?

Regards,

Mike.

Just done mine.
Note: you will more than likely have to replace the whole tap inc nuts, the nut on the incoming pipe (black pipe?) may be BSP and the new stop valves (few quid from screwfix/toolstation/merchant) will be metric. Get a pipe sleeve while you are there.
I would actually get the thing apart, cut and prep the pipe, go to a merchant with said pieces and get all at once. Hopefully your external road stop valve stilll works.

Me personally i'd replace with a like for like tap, once replaced open her up then give it a slight turn back to prevent it getting seized up if not in use.

It should be a stopcock replace like for like it is possible your insurance will be void otherwise.

First and easiest option for me would be to replace the washer. When you have it open have a feel of the seat (the bit where the washer compresses on to), if it's smooth the new tap washer will be fine.

full bore lever valves are wras approved for stop tap purposes and wont void insurance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Incoming cold water main Isolation valve passing water when closed - replace? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all, Got a strange grating noise when the mains water is running in a property I'm looking after. It's a ground floor flat, with a first floor flat above it, and both share the same mains water pipe, and I believe the stopcock behind the washing machine isolates all water to both properties...
Replies
Views
R
I just had installed a Navien NPE-2 with built in recirculator pump. I have a dedicated return line. The check valve for the recirc is built into the unit; a spring check valve was placed on the cold line (per the manual) after which there is an expansion tank (on the cold line) in a T junction...
Replies
Views
Rogelio
R
This is doing my head in, so I am turning to the experts here for any wisdom... In the last couple of days I have very low cold water pressure in my downstairs utility room and downstairs bathroom (they back on to each other). The main cold feed (kitchen tap) is normal pressure. And all the...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
D
Hi all, I have an issue with our shower's hot water. The shower is operated using two separate taps for cold and hot water. When the hot water tap is turned on, no water at all comes from the shower head - not even a drizzle. However, when the cold water is turned on it flows freely. The hot...
Replies
Views
Hello, my HW is taking longer than expected to heat up and it's getting worse. I can go 10-40 degs after 1.5 hours of only heating HW, whereas I should be going 10-60 degs in 30-40 mins by my maths. Don't even mention trying to heat HW and CH at the same time. 30 mins with the immersion adds...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock