Discuss immersion heater won't turn... need new ideas in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MP plumb

i need to change an immersion heater on a copper cylinder

i have tried the following:

using immersion spanner
using an extention bar on the spanner for more leverage
using large footprints
using large adjustables/grips
heating it up slightly
(tapping the tools with a hammer too !!! :boxing_smiley:

it feels like the cylinder is crushing to the side instead of the immersion turning so i dont want to push it too much

any new ideas/techniques are welcome!

Theres a couple of threads on this if you do a search. One was quite recent,

Pretty much do the same as you have suggested.
Maybe new cylinder time. Some sealants just seem to go like concrete after a time.

Graham

thanks, just had a look at the link. im worried though, because the immersion already looks a bit slated to the right, so any force seems to make it bend more. maybe a new cylinder is needed then

Sounds like the cylinder is now damaged. Tread carefully and warn your client of the possible outcome.

I believe someone asked a similar question on here recently. Have you tried tightening slightly before un-tightening?

You could also try penetrant spray (not WD-40) if you have access to the thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Immersion spanner and a lump hammer. They're never easy to get off.
You didn't drain down when trying this? Being full helps keep the cylinder stable and solid, I get the immersion moving a smidgen before draining down.

Heat always works for me, part drain down maybe top 6" then plenty of heat all round the flange.

Have you seen tweakyboys post about drilling it out? It may be worth a try before fitting new cylinder provided you warn customer beforehand that the action may result in a new cylinder being required.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to immersion heater won't turn... need new ideas in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi I've recently had a new bathroom installed. I've noticed when I flush the downstairs loo there was a hammer type noise under the bathroom...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I should start off by stating that I'm not in the industry - I'm just a DIYer with a "what-if" idea. Hybrid systems and solar...
Replies
Views
My kitchen radiator is filling with hot water despite my TRV being set to 0. It's blazing at maximum. This goes for the rad when I try two...
Replies
Views
I need such a spanner to remove a failed IH, and to install a replacement; in a domestic hot water cylinder made by Opus (Cyprus). I am aware that...
Replies
Views
Hi, some professional advice would be greatly appreciated, We are having an Unvented Cylinder installed into our 2 bedroom ground floor flat. I...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock