Search the forum,

Discuss Hunter Genova Pipework in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

I came across this for the first time yesterday, i have seen something similiar in the past when i was an apprentice but that was a long time ago.

Just thought that i would put this up so as to help anyone out there that may come across it. Its plastic pipe that takes cold main, in this instance it was also taking the hot from the combi which had been converted some time ago, i dont know if pressurised hot water bodes well with this type of system but it seemed to have stood the test of time...that was until i had to work on it.

I was changing bath taps, the bath panel was a pig to come off and then i was greeted with this on a Friday afternoon haha. A quick google of it and i was informed that it was pipework still used in America but used for a little while here in Britain. I ended up cutting it and repiping a decent section of it so that i only had one coupling on the plastic.

I used a 22mm compression fitting, used my gland pliers just to take off some excess paint and after a little persuasion the fitting went on, the plastic even took a hep insert which i put in just to give it a bit of rigidness for the olive to bite to along with (of coarse, because we use it everywhere) PTFE for good measure.

When everything was said and done, the fitting worked perfectly and i was able to continue fitting the taps, the cold never needed altered because it stood up to me working on it which i was quite impressed by.

Anyway, i just thought i would put this on because every little helps when someone, somewhere out there comes across this again. At least you know that a compression fitting in the van should get you out of a hole, i do think however that there may be different variations of the stuff which is why i had cut it back to an easier place to work, in case i had to file it or anything, luckily i was gifted with the fact that the pipework ran surface and was horrible in the first place haha

This is certainly easier to work on than heavy guage...god I hate heavy guage...

Attachments

• 20210326_123138.jpg
    20210326_123138.jpg
    345.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 20210326_123114.jpg
    20210326_123114.jpg
    296 KB · Views: 17
  • 20210326_144516.jpg
    20210326_144516.jpg
    310.2 KB · Views: 18
There's an estate near us that was done in this stuff, but only the cold mains. However you can't and shouldn't use compression fittings on them, however if it holds then 🤷‍♂️ Wouldn't like it to fail though...

You can still buy the fittings and special glue, with a fitting from the pipe to a female iron. From which you can go to compression.

They go brittle with heat, hence why it's snapped on you. In the lofts on this estate they all go brittle, and none of the hot pipework is done in it.

I have used it years ago on a health authority project for hot and cold water supplies, Hunter Genova chlorinated plastic I believe it was called now discontinued, George fisher does a similar product still , it is joined with a solvent cleaner applied to the fitting and pipe to remove contamination then a solvent type glue applied to the pipe and inserted purpose made adaptors to BSP should be used to convert to other materials never seen compression fittings used ?? , Kop

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210328-080420.png
    Screenshot_20210328-080420.png
    474.4 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20210328-080559.png
    Screenshot_20210328-080559.png
    407.9 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20210328-080643.png
    Screenshot_20210328-080643.png
    534.5 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Reply to Hunter Genova Pipework in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all, Have got an old 60/70s PVC soil stack, the Toilet is going into a Hunter branded socket which has an old O-ring design (quite flat with 3 or 4 ribs on it). It's painted in a fetching pink/purple colour in the photo. Tried to revive it with some grease before inserting a short length of...
Replies
Views
A
Hi, I am replacing a leaking push fit flexi tap connector under the bath with a compression fitting flexi. The problem is that the old pipe seems to be slightly smaller than 22 mm compression fitting and when I tighten the compression nut the whole fitting is easily sliding off the pipe and...
Replies
Views
Yes, it me again. I have a leaking compression joint that is connected to plastic pipe. I have now read elsewhere that it is not a good idea to connect plastic into compression joints. It DID have an insert in the plastic pipe. I decided to use plastic JG speedfit pipe in the compression...
Replies
Views
I have a hot water cylinder which has low carbon steel pipework to it - I have tried to add some pictures I need to replace the cylinder because it is leaking and I am not able to find anyone who is comfortable to work on this this because it is barrel steel - Has anyone worked on this kind of...
Replies
Views
Size of bathroom 230cm x 210cm Height 230cm Birmingham Area Initial problem Burst pipe underground in bathroom, concrete. Have had this dug up & made safe for now, have had affected pipe cut & put end caps on. Work required Full bathroom remove old tiles walls and floor. Renew tiling. New...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock