Search the forum,

Discuss Cutting Barrel Steel Pipework For new cylinder in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

I have a hot water cylinder which has low carbon steel pipework to it - I have tried to add some pictures

I need to replace the cylinder because it is leaking and I am not able to find anyone who is comfortable to work on this this because it is barrel steel - Has anyone worked on this kind of system before?

1) It i try and put some stillstons on it am I likely to get the nut to crack and the thread to remain intact? This looks like heavy duty commercial pipework so I am nervous but I need to get this reduced to copper so I can replace the cylinder - I have found a shop which has black iron fittings that can thread onto a 2inch pipe and reduce it but it depends on geting the but off in tact

2) If I have to cut the steel pipework without a thread can I use a Priomfit compression nut? Are these leak proof and reliable for water?

IMG_6893.jpeg

IMG_6892.jpegIMG_6891.jpegIMG_6890.jpegIMG_6889.jpeg

Tbh do you have much experience in iron as it’s one of them, what type of property is it ?

Easiest way then would be to undo the unions and adapt from copper from then remember if it measures 11/4 od it’s 1” tube so need 1” make irons etc

How likely is it the steel pipe cracks below when i am exerting force to undo the nut ? I will heat it and use stillsons of bottom of the union but will this crack or twist up the pipework? If the pipe splits how do you fix it as I cant solder onto steep so thats why i looked at primofit optoins

How likely is it the steel pipe cracks below when i am exerting force to undo the nut ? I will heat it and use stillsons of bottom of the union but will this crack or twist up the pipework? If the pipe splits how do you fix it as I cant solder onto steep so thats why i looked at primofit optoins

You will have to hold against but will only snap if it’s weak so needs replacing

Here is a better picture so you can get a sense of how frightened I am !!!

The cylinder has flow on top right, cold water in on bottom right and return on bottom left with hot water draw off on top of the cylinder
IMG_6882.jpgIMG_6892 2.jpg

Don’t do the job then say sorry out of my comfort zone etc

I wouldn't use Primofit to make a direct copper-steel join in the pipework that is feeds CW to the tank or draws DHW from it because of galvanic corrosion. Use a purpose designed union or a brass transition section. It's fairly common to use brass-bodied valves for the transition, which are just about long enough.

TBH, this doesn't look like a DIY job if you don't have experience of, and the tools for, steel pipework. Try to find someone who does 'domestic and commercial' work rather than just 'domestic'.

I deal with this all the time. I wouldn’t use primofits unless zero other options.

Unwind from a joint and convert. It’s no particularly difficult but old steel does break and you need a back up plan, just in case.

Here’s one I found last week while replacing a bath for shower. Steel pipe rusting from the outside. Had to dig out back to a joint and replace.

757395A8-245B-432E-B486-5C7D96B8F2BA.jpeg
797C7AB5-A098-4001-9483-2648BD435BF0.jpeg

Out of interest, what area of London are you?

Attachments

• 8780BCCD-13F7-45D6-9004-982DE3C81035.jpeg
    8780BCCD-13F7-45D6-9004-982DE3C81035.jpeg
    374.1 KB · Views: 3
Yes the above is def steel barrell pipe - Want to say thank you to this forum - I managed to angle grind the cylinder out and then blow torch the connectors and they came out easily! Was amazed.

Have now bought a fittings to convert to copper and could not have done it without the immense knowledge on this forum.

I am in finchley - Now need to find someone to install a vented indirect cylinder - That certainly looks and sounds easier then messing with barrel pipework

Reply to Cutting Barrel Steel Pipework For new cylinder in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I have an old steel water mains pipe (approx 45mm) that I need to connect to a new pehd water mains (25mm). I can't get at it to create a new thread so what's the best way of connecting the two? Cheers, Peter
Replies
Views
I have attached an image of the brass body within a tap. Having replaced a cartridge which has cured a leaking tap, I can see that there is a small leak from the brass body which can be unscrewed. Is there a seal behind the body? Thanks.
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock