Discuss Hints, tips & secrets of plumbing - No Banter please! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
re: Hints, tips & secrets of plumbing - No Banter please!

Dip into dilute sulphuric acid and use lead as the cathode. Connect lead to positive. Well you did ask.

What you could try though I haven't. Use your drill and 1 1/2" core bit with pilot. pack in a load of coarse wire wool stick the end of your pipe in and whizz away

If you cut a pipe that you want to solder and it has water still trapped in it and you cant get it out i.e by opening tap and draining, nice little tip that works get a plant spray or the spray out of a window cleaner bottle and dip the end into the cut end and squirt in to a bowl/bucket and this will clear the pipe enough to solder the joint! Try it, it really works.

If you keep speedfit stopends in your pocket in case of an emergency, every now and then try them on a bit of pipe. If you leave them in your pocket for more than a few weeks the bits of fluff and dirt will stop then connecting to the pipe properly. They can be cleaned of course, but defeats the object of an emergecny measure. I had two in pocket for about a month and couldn't be bothered to get some from my speedfit box so decided to use my emergency ones. Neither would go on the pipe.

If you cut a pipe that you want to solder and it has water still trapped in it and you cant get it out i.e by opening tap and draining, nice little tip that works get a plant spray or the spray out of a window cleaner bottle and dip the end into the cut end and squirt in to a bowl/bucket and this will clear the pipe enough to solder the joint! Try it, it really works.

good tip but I have always used the small tube from my u gauge to shove down pipe and syphon water out

:vanish:

If you keep speedfit stopends in your pocket in case of an emergency, every now and then try them on a bit of pipe. If you leave them in your pocket for more than a few weeks the bits of fluff and dirt will stop then connecting to the pipe properly. They can be cleaned of course, but defeats the object of an emergecny measure. I had two in pocket for about a month and couldn't be bothered to get some from my speedfit box so decided to use my emergency ones. Neither would go on the pipe.

maybe just keep them in a small plastic bag or stuff a bit of plastic bag in each end to keep rubbish out and just pull out when required

anyone any tips for filing chrome for soldered joints ?? takes to long using the old jeremy kyle

I use a hand held Dremel with small grinding disc,useful things,use it also to cut old rusted w/c cistern or seat bolts off with a small cutting disc

good tip but I have always used the small tube from my u gauge to shove down pipe and syphon water out

:vanish:

I've always used earth sleeving. But I like the squeezy doo-da.

There is a chemical that you coat on to the pipe, leave it and the chrome comes off much easier. Sorry but don't know its name or where to get it, an American friend told me about it.

For the newbies....NEVER EVER use chrome pipe with plastic pushfit fittings!

It might be this: Muriatic Acid/Hydrocloric Acid solution

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001B3UOOM...ominc&link_code=ur2&creative=9325&camp=211189

Last edited by a moderator:

When fitting a slotted service valve (the one you switch off with a screwdriver) under a sink or hard to get at places where the valve isn't on show, a penny washer superglued into the slot makes a good handle for switching it on and off without messing about with a screwdriver. Cheaper than buying the ones with plastic handles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hints, tips & secrets of plumbing - No Banter please! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't...
Replies
Views
B
    • Friendly
Hi, I've followed this excellent forum for several years but have never posted, so decided I'd better give some details. My status is the upper...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
I have an ideal vogue max S18 boiler and I’m considering fitting auto balancing TRVs, my question relates to the boilers pump. I see a boiler...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock