Discuss Hints, tips & secrets of plumbing - No Banter please! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hint.
f you fancy a "career" in plumbing it is wise to get a job and be taught rather than pay a fortune to learn very little.

I hope all the people who come on here asking about courses read this
It will be there TOP TIP

re: Hints, tips & secrets of plumbing - No Banter please!

Hint.
f you fancy a "career" in plumbing it is wise to get a job and be taught rather than pay a fortune to learn very little.

I was thinking just that, there's too many people too quick to part with their cash before doing any research into the current state of the industry. As 'Forrest Gump' once said 'stupid is as stupid does'.

I use gas ptfe tape on the threads of back plates for outside taps. It gets a really nice tight turn with little effort into the position I need the tap to sit. Never leaks and never any danger of it turning through time.

When fitting an item your unfamiliar with - always read the instructions, as prevents embarrassing situations at a later date!

When fitting an item your unfamiliar with - always read the instructions, as prevents embarrassing situations at a later date!

you speak as if you have experience

Best tip I'll give is buy a Rage saw - the easiest way to take a galvanised tank apart for disposal and no sparks.

Never visit a wholesaler and spend 20 minutes ordering 80 quids worth of fittings, which are assembled on the bench in front of you, then realise you've left your wallet back on the job!

don't work to hard

Changing bottom inlet ball valves: Get the metal nut started on the plastic thread BEFORE you fully tighten the plastic securing nut. This gives you a bit more play and hopefully less headaches! Tighten metal nut fully once the plastic nut is tight.

Cust care: Even if house is a tip, but there's shoes at the door, take yours off too!

Tip: 90% of customers don't mind paying a bit more so long as your work area is spotless and you don't get re-called. There's no point being the cheapest all the time and cutting corners just to get by!

thanks what a good idea
one i remembered from pluasne

make an air test kit by stripping the rubber off an old tyre schraeder valve and solder it into some 10mm (i think) then solder into a 10x15 reducer connect the 15mm to a compression fitting, get yourself a foot pump and away you go.

KJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hints, tips & secrets of plumbing - No Banter please! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

L
Looking for tips on being faster at work. I am working on new builds and pressure is being put on me to speed up production. I am working at a...
Replies
Views
  • Poll
Have you ever / would you ever; Work for a Plumbing Supplier / Electrical Wholesaler - POLLTIME! PLEASE SHARE THIS WITH FRIENDS VIA FACEBOOK...
Replies
Views
How has 2022 been so far? How's the economy affecting you? Any tips? This email has been sent to all members of the forum. I thought we could...
Replies
Views
Hello all, first time poster so if there is any additional information I can provide that may help, please let me know. Our kitchen mixer tap has...
Replies
Views
H
  • Article
Lecturers in Plumbing within Construction 36 hours, 52 weeks per year , part time hours will also be considered £32,732- £39,096 per annum...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock