Discuss High water pressure causing toilets to 'run'?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Steve Williams

New toilets, sometimes fine, sometimes whistling past the valves, sometimes leaking into the overflow. A pressure problem? Thoughts much appreciated!

Half decent ballvalves if Pt3 or Pt4 have restrictors that you insert into the tail to reduce/stop whistling, or the flow noise is reduced by a submerged inlet either bag type (with a break) equilibrium type? With regard to running into the overflow are they properly set up? Look for the waterline and tweak the level with fine adjustment.

alternatively what's the incoming pressure running at? It's about 4 bar by me. Pressure reducer & or flow restrictor if it's on a bank of Wc's if it's high pressure?

i like fluidmaster pro's but we will all have our favourites?
Thomas Dudleys aren't half bad either.

if it was budget ware it normally has tat internals supplied, sorry lots of options hard to be more helpful without a look see.

First of all, the occasional leaking into overflow - is it actually going down the overflow before going into pan (if modern push button, no external overflow type loo) ?
If it is overflowing, then it is an issue with the fill valve. If it is not going down overflow, but still running into pan, then it is the flushing valve either sticking or its washer not sealing properly.
Noise from the filling valve, if it has a flow restrictor fitted, might be helped if the mains pressure is too high & a pressure reducing valve is fitted to incoming mains. Or try another make of fill valve. I also like Fluidmaster Pro valve (brass tail type) as find them fairly quiet & reliable, but I had to replace one Fluidmaster I fitted about a year ago as it suddenly started to make a whistling sound when filling, which was from the stem part with flow insert & not rest of valve (because I removed rest to test filling). It might also be too high pressure in my job not helping.

Last edited:
Thanks for that. It's running off a Rewatec rainwater harvester and some dirt is coming through. To resolve I remove the float valve and clean the plastic and the rubber seal. That usually fixes it temporarily. Is fine dirt a problem? Are water harvester pumps set up at a pressure higher than the mains? The plumber failed to set the overflow height correctly but I have resolved that. They do appear to be cheap internals.

Hi folks
Just wanted to say thanks, it was a dirt problem not a pressure problem. The rainwater tank suppliers were wrong, you do need separate filters in addition to the leaf filter and large particle filter in the tank. It all works fine now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Steve - just out of curiosity can you post a diagram /layout
of what you have and works - it will help loads of newbies on here
who ask how they do what you have done - crop will make it stick !

centralheatking
Hi folks
Just wanted to say thanks, it was a dirt problem not a pressure problem. The rainwater tank suppliers lied, you do need separate filters in addition to the leaf filter and large particle filter in the tank. It all works fine now.

Sure, two filters in the top of the tank. I'll get the brand and post again.

LIFF HF76 and HF97 filters.LIFF are based in Braintree, not sure if they are made in Great Britain or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to High water pressure causing toilets to 'run'?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I fix what I can around the house myself and have fixed a few toilets but I need help with this one. This toilet keeps running and stopping...
Replies
Views
the pressure of my boiler looks unstable After i re-pressurize to 1.5 bar, using tap is ok without problem. but when turn on the central heating...
Replies
Views
I have been facing central heating low pressure on unvented hot water RM Cylinders but can't see any leak on the PRV, expansion vessels and...
Replies
Views
losing pressure
L
This issue arose about a year ago. Does anyone have an idea why I occasionally hear (about once every hour or longer) a hammer related noise...
Replies
Views
Hi there I fitted a Sanicompact 43 about10 years ago. A few years ago i noticed that it would intermittently activate in the middle of the...
Replies
Views
Back