Discuss Help with Boiler Fault in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

GQuigley67

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I don't do much boiler repairs so I'm not that clued up, anyway I fixed a shower for a customer a couple of weeks back, and now the boiler isn't working right and it "happend around the time i fixed the shower"

Told the customer it is just coincidence, and not my fault lol. Basically the heating is staying on constant, even with the thermostat turned down so I'm thinkin that its the thermostat so when I go there tomorrow I'm going to disconnect it from the boiler and see if that helps, if not then I think it may be the diverter valve. Any other Ideas ??

Ohh and its an Ideal boiler, new build house so I'd say maximum 6 years old.

The ideal Isar has pre heat - so if the divertor is passing to CH then it will be trying to keep the whole system hot, and boiler will be on constantly.

Update

The boiler is an Ideal Isar HE35, and it seems the diverter valve is sticking in the mid position, when calling for HW both the Flow and DHW pipe get hot, should I replace the diverter valve or just the actuator ?

If you remove the head, press the spindle & see if it moves ok.
The spindle is in for ch & out for hw on the square head with white lever actuator.
if it's a curved red actuator the spindle is out for ch & in for hw .

I didnt remove the head but I did try to move the lever, I could move it in one direction but not the other and when I disconnected the electrical lead it only went to CH mode. House didnt have MIs or internet connection so I had to wait to I came home to look at the MI's.

Actuator is a square Honeywell one

Last edited:
lol I wish haha !! I'm going back tomorrow with my laptop and have a better look see what is needed, its for a friends mum so I hope I can fix it and she recommends me to her neighbours as it seems they are all Isars lol

I'll be able to have a better look tomorrow but I think it may be the diverter cartridge itself.

Last edited:
It's more than likely it's the cartridge in the divertor valve, remove actuator, drain Take off plastic head/front try cleaning internal valve. If still a problem ring Ideal as there are 2 different valve bodies/cartridges
Ideal 01482492251

Last edited:
Well I fixed the boiler, removed diverter cartridge depressed the spring a couple of times and put it back in then it seemed to work. Advised customer it may happen again and if it does happen again the cartridge would probably have to be replaced.

Thanks for help guys

I can see why Ideals are a pain to work on, everything is very tight and it must be a nightmare replacing the PRV!! Anyone got decent Allen keys which are long ? trying to take the valve out with my allen keys was a bit of a nightmare lol

Last edited:
"Anyone got decent Allen keys which are long" - a hex socket set with an extension works well for this.

Did one yesterday (the square honeywell motor head type) removed divertor body & tried to free up the mechanism.
Not a chance it was stuck fast, so had to replace it.

Maybe these have been designed to stick !

my allen set are only around 2" long i have seeen long grundfos ones but dnt know where to buy them they are individual around 300mm long with a blue key handle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Help with Boiler Fault in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi We have a vented oil-fired heating system with a coal fire back boiler, this is going to be changed to a sealed pressurized system tomorrow and...
Replies
Views
G
I have a danesmore 20/25 oil boiler and it is firing up but it’s producing no heat to the water or the radiators My next door neighbour an...
Replies
Views
I have an old Potterton suprima boiler with a hot water tank and pump. We have hot water but no heating, the light on the boiler is showing amber...
Replies
Views
Hiya - posting in this forum as I'm guessing this relates to my neighbour above's boiler, but I may be wrong so please say if so. Basically the...
Replies
Views
Hello, bit of a noob question but would someone be able to help me to understand the pipes coming off our boiler. It's a Grant oil combi boiler...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock